Chapter 14

I was trembling, gasping for water as tears streamed down my face. Multiple pairs of eyes focused on my face, waiting for me to speak. Dad squeezed my hands and I met his gaze. His eyes were steady as he looked at me. "Take a breath and tell us what's wrong."

Mom was looking at me with such worry in her eyes, such compassion that it almost made me feel worse. She put a hand on my cheek. Her touch calmed me enough to speak. It was only one word—a name—but it was enough to triple the tension in the room tenfold. "Ella."

Their reactions were almost instantaneous. Mom recoiled, as if I'd struck her. She lifted a trembling hand to her mouth, tears filling her eyes and spilling down her cheeks. Dad's face darkened, his eyes filling with sadness. Aunt Bella gasped, her eyes darting from Mom to Dad. Uncle David reached for Mom, squeezing her shoulder.

I couldn't hold it in any longer. "Drew was in my dream last night. I couldn't find any signs of harm on him, but I immediately noticed he was alone, which instantly put me on alert. I knew that he would never just come out there like that. I asked him where you two were," I said, gesturing to Aunt Bella and Uncle David, "and Faye, because I thought it was very odd that he would be out there alone."

My hands shook as I clasped them together, pulling in a steadying breath through my nose and exhaling deeply. "Before he even opened his mouth to respond, an unfamiliar voice spoke up from behind me, making me start. 'Good job, Drew. Now, go to your sister and tell her to bring the king and queen with her.' His face was oddly calm as his eyes found mine once before he quickly swam away."

My heart was pounding, my eyes darting from face to face as I spoke. "Despite the fear gnawing at me, I held my head high as I slowly turned around. The merman was tall, with thinning dark blond hair and eyes the color of the sea." Mom's eyes widened, but she didn't say anything. I had a feeling they all knew what was coming. "I froze when he spoke. 'My name is Jacob Mercer.'"

Again, their reactions were instantaneous. Dad clasped Mom's hand as she let out a sob. Aunt Bella's reaction was identical to Mom's. Uncle David's fists clenched as he took a sharp breath, as if trying to control his temper.

I shook my head. If their reactions were this severe now, how would they react when I told them about Uncle Noah? "I immediately started pleading with him—I told him I would do whatever he wanted as long as he didn't hurt them. His next words made my blood run cold. 'I'm not going to hurt them. I want to go after who killed my wife and daughter. And I could use your help.' His eyes gleamed with tears as he finished speaking."

I inhaled sharply, wincing as a headache flared between my eyes. I looked down at my hands, not wanting to see their reactions. "A small voice in the very back of my head warned me against trusting him, that it could be—and most likely was—a trap. But I studied him—his wide eyes, tears nearly spilling over, fists clenched tightly at his sides—and realized that he was telling the truth. He knew he'd made mistakes in the past—in his own life and others'—but he was genuinely trying to make up for them."

The words tangled up in my throat, but I forced them out. "That's when Aunt Bella and Uncle David showed up. Faye was with them. Aunt Bella asked me if I was okay, but I couldn't answer. My mind was still stuck on the bombshell that had just dropped, the implications of it. When Drew spoke up, his voice was strong. 'You promise you won't hurt my family?' I felt more than saw his words hit their mark."

I clasped my hands together to hide their shaking. "Jacob was staring at him with such regret and longing in his eyes that it nearly took my breath away. A moment passed before he spoke, his voice tight with unshed tears. 'Yes,' he said. 'You have my word, Drew.' That's when I woke up."

Dad opened his mouth to speak, but I shook my head. I wasn't done. Not yet. "I know who killed them." I looked at Mom, then Dad, my heart breaking clean in half.