Year 2 Chapter 8

Alex's Pov

It has been a while since the partner exam I had with Elena and I have been keeping a low profile, I would like to lay relatively low since soon my knowledge from the past will run out and I will be like any other above-average student at this school.

Speaking about this exam, this is the thing I have been preparing for the most out of anything in this school. Since I approached Fuka with the intention of her training me I have been working towards being ready for this.

If I had to think of any exam that would put me in danger of being expelled, it would be this one.

Although I am now quite fit and am confident I am smart enough to go camping on an island for 2 weeks, it is simply much more complicated than that.

With all that in mind, I am here speaking to two beautiful young women for insurance. Those two happen to be Arisu and Masumi-San. It seemed Masumi seemed to not mind me too much anymore, from what Arisu told me she enjoys the action that I bring, her usual life of being Arisu's secretary is very boring.

"Good evening Arisu, I called you here today with the intent of buying something from you."

She just gave me a sly smile and replied.

"Fufu, and what would you like from me late at night with Masumi-San here?"

Obviously, the third person here gained an annoyed expression from what her boss said, I ignored her teasing and responded.

"I want to buy 3 of the basic cards that we were given, specifically Head Start, Half Off, and Insurance. As far as payment goes I don't have anything specific so I'll pay with whatever you think is fair."

[Those allow the owner to start with 1.5x points, if you receive a penalty it is reduced by half, and if you get sick you get 1 day to recover on the ship.]

Hearing my request she thought for a moment before replying.

"Hmm, I will get you those cards, but in exchange how about joining Class A with me?"

I was very surprised to hear that, our third wheel was as well since she almost fell out of the seat she was sitting in.

I replied vaguely.

"Although I am not completely against the idea of moving classes, I would prefer to save that discussion for a later date and repay with something else in this instance."

She seemed to ponder for a while before replying.

"How about this then Alex-Kun, I will give you the cards for free, in return I want you to tell me what you think the founding principle of this school is."

I agreed and began to think, and after a few minutes, I came to a conclusion.

"I have thought about this briefly before, I concluded then and as time passed I can't help but agree with it more and more. I believe the principle that not just this school was built upon, but nearly all of human history is simple. "The only path to salvation is through suffering," no great person, no great nations, no great accomplishments were ever the result of anything other than suffering and hardship. Look at yourself, no doubt your heart condition has pushed you to be even more amazing than you would have been otherwise. Look at Ayanokoji, he has probably suffered more than anyone I have ever met, and he is also in many ways the most amazing. There are more examples, the former student council president Manabu Horikita would torture himself to protect his class, he carried many burdens by himself to accomplish his goals.

In comparison, I have suffered very little compared to anyone else I mentioned. For that reason, I look forward to this next special exam with the expectation and resolve to face potentially unimaginable suffering in the name of growth. In my opinion, this school is not trying to create over 100 top-tier students a year, or even 40 in Class A. If I had to guess, this school seeks to create 4-8 truly amazing people, and the Class A students' guaranteed jobs are simply an expense in the pursuit of the few that are truly exceptional."