01. Escaping Discovery

[Clearly doing something a little different. This soundtrack is one of my favorites. It's all around spectacular in my humble opinion.]

England 1940

Peter Pevensie's eyes opened as soon as he heard the all too familiar air raid sirens. Helen, their mum, woke him and Edmund up, despite Peter already being awake.

As Peter gathered the remaining necessities, he heard his mother yell, "Edmund! Get away from the window!"

Susan and Isabel began gathering their things in the room they shared with their sister and noticed Lucy still in bed, cover to her head, and hands over her ears.

"Lucy, come on!" Susan shouted.

Susan and Isabel helped Lucy out and guided her to the door.

When everyone had gotten everything ready, they ran to the shelter and Edmund suddenly cried, "Dad!"

"Edmund!" Helen yelled.

"I'll get him," Peter answered, running after his brother.

Moments after Edmund grabbed the picture of their father in uniform, Peter sensed trouble and knocked his brother down as glass shattered. The glass covering the picture broke. When they felt it was safe, they ran back to the shelter.

As Peter closed the door, he yelled, "You're so selfish! You could've gotten us killed!"

Helen embraced Edmund and Peter and Isabel held Lucy close as she shook in fear.

"It'll be all right, Lu," Isabel said softly.

---

The next morning, they were put on a train to protect them from the bombing.

Helen pinned a tag on Lucy and told her to be good.

Helen said goodbye to her children and told Peter and Isabel to look out for their siblings.

Peter and Isabel nodded and said, "I will, Mum."

Edmund rejected a hug from his mother, so she kissed his cheek.

Lucy held Peter and Isabel's hands and once again, Peter looked wistfully at the soldiers. He didn't hear Susan calling to him until she yanked the tickets from his hand.

The five boarded the train and waved goodbye to their mother. As the train started off, Peter put their suitcases up. Edmund insisted on putting his up by himself.

Lucy offered Edmund her stuffed dog and he handed it to a little boy.

They watched as the two children were led away by two adults.

When they arrived at their stop, they got off the train and waited for their ride. A car passed and Edmund stared at his tag. "Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled."

Shortly, a horse and carriage pulled up. "Mrs. Macready?" Peter and Isabel asked hesitantly.

The woman nodded curtly. "I'm afraid so. Haven't you brought anything else?"

"No, ma'am, it's just us," Peter replied.

The five piled into the carriage and eventually, a huge mansion came into view.

Mrs. McCready gave them a tour and Susan reached out to touch a bust and Mrs. Macready exclaimed, "No touching of the historical artefacts!"

Susan frowned as Mrs. Macready went on to tell the five of them that the professor was not to be disturbed under any circumstances.

That night, Lucy pouted. "The sheets feel scratchy."

Peter moved closer to Lucy's bed. "We'll be home soon."

"If home's still there," Edmund muttered.

"Now will you just shut up."

Isabel looked between her siblings, then said to Lucy, "It's only for a short while. I imagine we'll be home before we know it."

---

The next morning, after breakfast, the Pevensie children gathered the sitting room. Due to the heavy rain, none of them went outside.

Susan had picked up a dictionary and waa quizzing Peter and Isabel. "Gas-tro-vas-cu-lar. Come on, Peter. Come on, Isabel. Gas-tro-vas-cu-lar."

Peter let out an irritated sigh as . "Is it Latin?"

"Yes."

Edmund interrupted rudely, "Is it Latin for worst game ever invented?"

Peter, Isabel and Susan shot Edmund a look. Lucy jumped up, startling her elder siblings. "We could play hide-and-seek."

Once again, Peter released an irritated sigh, and said sarcastically, "But we're already having so much fun."

Lucy started pulling on her brother's arm. "Come on, Peter, please! Pretty please?"

After a moment's thought, Peter began counting. "One... two... three... four..."

The other four ran to find a spot.

Susan found a bench to hide in.

Lucy and Edmund raced to hide behind a curtain and before Lucy could, Edmund hid behind it and said, "I was here first."

Lucy huffed at him and ran to find somewhere else to hide.

She came upon her sister who opened a door.

There, at the far end, stood a giant wardrobe covered in a white cloth.

Lucy and Isabel shared a look and pulled the sheet from the wardrobe. The sheet fell, as though it were gently falling snow.

When the sheet reached the floor, Lucy and Isabel opened the door and stepped through. They felt a breeze and a chill as they made their way through the coats. They'd cracked the door because everyone knew, or at least everyone should know, never to close a wardrobe if one was inside.