03. A Warmly Icy Encounter

Lucy stared at the candle on her nightstand, slipped her boots on, and grabbed the candle. Isabel, who'd noticed the light from the candle, quickly sat up, slipped her boots on, and followed her youngest sister. They made their way to the wardrobe room, unknowingly followed by Edmund who'd flushed the toilet. Lucy opened the wardrobe and the candle blew out. Isabel closed the wardrobe, leaving it open a crack, and the sisters disappeared behind the door.

"Lucy, Isabel, Lucy, Isabel. I hope you're not afraid of the dark," Edmund taunted as he shut the wardrobe door. "Lucy, Isabel, Lucy, Isabel?"

Edmund found himself in the snowy terrain of Narnia. He'd fallen into the snow. He walked around, amazed by it all.

"Lucy? Isabel? Lucy! Isabel! I think I believe you now!" He heard the sound of bells. "Lucy? Isabel?"

"Yah!" a dwarf cried as a whipping sound sounded.

Edmund dove out of the way into the snow and the dwarf jumped out and threw a whip around Edmund's legs.

The dwarf put a knife to Edmund's throat.

"What is it Ginarrbrik?" the White Witch asked.

"He won't let go!" Edmund cried.

"Is that how you address the Queen of Narnia?" Ginarrbrik asked.

"I didn't know?"

"Well, you shall know her better afterwards."

"Wait! What is your name Son-of-Adam?" the White Witch questioned.

"Edmund, your majesty," Edmund answered.

"And how was it, Edmund, that you came to enter my dominion?"

"I walked through a wardrobe following my sisters."

"Your sisters? How many are you?"

"Five."

"Edmund you look so cold! Come and sit with me here on my sledge." Edmund joined her. "Now, would you like something warm to drink?"

"Yes... your majesty." The White Witch took a vial and dropped a green drop on snow that become a hot drink that the dwarf gave Edmund. "How did you do that?"

"I can make anything you like."

"Could you make me taller?"

"I can make anything you like to eat."

"Turkish Delight."

A drop once again came down and made the box of Turkish Delight and Ginarrbrik gave it to Edmund.

"I'd love to see your family," the White Witch told Edmund.

"They're nothing special," Edmund replied.

"I only have one child, a daughter, and you are such a good little boy where I could see, one day, you becoming prince of Narnia - maybe even king."

"Really?" Edmund asked with a full mouth.

The White Witch nodded. "Of course you'd have to bring your family."

"They're nothing special. Oh, Peter will be king too?"

"No! But a king needs servants."

"I-I guess I could bring 'em."

"Beyond these woods, do you see those two little hills? My house is right between them. You'd love it there Edmund, it has whole rooms simply stuffed with Turkish Delight!"

"Couldn't I have some more now?

"NO!" She smiled. "Don't want to ruin your appetite."

"I'm going to miss you Edmund. But we are going to see each other soon."