08. Meeting the True Ruler

The children and the Beavers walked down a path of flowers and grass. Cherry trees bloomed on either side. The Pevensies' each dropped their coats and kept their pace.

Soon, they came upon a camp of red and gold surrounding from all sides. As the tents loomed closer, everyone was staring and Susan asked, "Why are they all staring at us?"

"Maybe they think you look funny," Lucy whispered, causing Peter to smile and Isabel to laugh softly.

Mrs. Beaver was smoothing down her fur and Mr. Beaver said, "Hey, stop your fussing. You look lovely."

They stepped closer to the tents and Peter pulled out his sword. He said to one of the centaurs, "We have come to see Aslan."

There was a sudden breeze and all the creatures started kneeling. A lion walked out into the open and the children knelt.

The lion, Aslan, and looked to the siblings. "Welcome Peter, Adam's son. Welcome Susan, Isabel and Lucy, daughters of Eve. And welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks. But where is the fourth?"

"That's why we're here," Peter answered.

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan admitted.

Isabel met the lion's eyes. "He was taken by the White Witch."

"Captured," Peter corrected.

"Captured!" the crowd repeated.

"He betrayed them, Your Majesty!" Mr. Beaver said.

"Then he has betrayed us all!" a centaur answered harshly.

"Peace, Oreius," Aslan told him.

Peter let out a sigh. "It's my fault, really. I was too hard on him."

"We all were," Susan and Isabel added.

"Sir, he's our brother," Lucy said.

"I know, dear one," Aslan said softly. "And that makes the betrayal all the worse. This may be harder than you think."

Peter stood on a hill, staring at a castle in the distance.

Aslan walked up beside him and said, "That is Cair Paravel, the castle the five thrones in one of which you will sit Peter, as High King and your sister as High Queen." Peter stared at the castle. "You doubt the prophecy?"

"No, that's just it... Aslan, I'm not who you think I am," Peter replied.

"Peter Pevensie, formerly of Finchley. ...Beaver also mentioned you planned on turning him into a hat." Peter smiled. "Peter, there is a Deep Magic more powerful than any of us that rules over Narnia. It defines right from wrong and governs all our destinies. Yours and mine."

"But I couldn't even protect my family."

"You've brought them safely thus far."

"Not all of them."

"Peter, I will do what I can to help your brother. But I need you to consider what I ask of you. ...I too want my family safe."

THE WITCH'S CAMP

Edmund was gagged and tied to a tree. Ginarrbrik walked around him and taunted, "Is our little prince uncomfortable? Does he want his pillow fluffed? Special treatment for a special boy! Isn't that what you wanted?"

RIVER

Susan, Isabel and Lucy went to the river.

"You look like Mum," Lucy said. "So do you, Isabel."

Isabel smiled and nodded. "Yes she does. You look stunning, Lu."

Susan smiled. "Mother hasn't had a dress like this since before the war."

"We should bring her one back. A whole trunk full!" Lucy exclaimed.

"If we ever get back... Sorry I guess I am like that. We used to have fun together, didn't we?"

"Yes, before you got boring."

"Oh really?"

Lucy glanced at Isabel and smiled before splashing her and Susan. The three splashed each other. Susan walked to a tree and grabbed a towel. Maugrim appeared and the sisters screamed. Isabel immediately grabbed Lucy and helped her up a tree.

"Please don't run," Maugrim said. "We're tired..."

"And we'd prefer to kill you quickly," Vardan added.

Susan looked over and saw her horn. She hit Maugrim with the towel.

HILL

Peter heard the horn. "Susan!" He ran off.

RIVER

He ran over to where he heard the horn and saw Susan, Isabel and Lucy in a tree with a wolf nipping at Susan's dangling foot.

"Get back!" Peter yelled.

"Peter!" Lucy cried.

Peter ran up and pointed his sword at the wolves. One started circling around behind him.

"Come on, we've already been through this," Maugrim said. "We both know you haven't got it in you."

"Peter, watch out!" Susan and Isabel warned.

Aslan grabbed Vardan. Oreius ran up, leading the other centaurs and drew his sword, ready to strike.

"Stay your weapons. This is Peter's battle," Aslan told Oreius.

"You may think you're a king, but you're going to die... like a dog!" Maugrim yelled, lunging at Peter who ducked.

Peter stabbed the wolf, and the wolf fell on top of him. "Peter!" his sisters cried before they jumped down from the tree and ran up to their brother.

Susan and Isabel pushed Maugrim's body off Peter and he stood.

Aslan let Vardan go and ordered, "After him. He'll lead you to Edmund. Peter, clean your sword." He did so. "Rise, Sir Peter Wolfsbane, Knight of Narnia."

Isabel looked her sisters over. "Are you two all right?"

Susan nodded. "I'm all right. Lu?"

Lucy also nodded. "I'm okay, too."