10. Sacrificial Love

Ginarrbrik cried, "Jadis! Jadis!"

Jadis' seat was lowered and she walked toward Aslan as she said, "You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan."

The creatures gasped loudly and Aslan walked closer to the Witch. "His offence was not against you."

The Witch scoffed. "Have you forgotten the laws on which Narnia was built?"

Aslan roared loudly. "Do not recite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was made."

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. His blood is my property," she answered, pointing harshly at Edmund.

"Try and take him then!" Peter and Isabel cried, the former drawing his sword.

The Witch laughed. "Do you think that a mere force can deny me my right, little king, little queen? Aslan knows that unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water. That boy will die on the Stone Table... as is tradition. You dare not refuse me."

Aslan let out a low growl. "Enough. I shall talk with you alone."

The children sat and waited for the lion to finish his business. Edmund resorted to picking grass.

Finally, the two of them reemerged. Aslan was the first to speak. "She has renounced her claim on the son of Adam's blood."

As the Narnians cheered loudly, the Witch asked, "How do I know your promise will be kept?"

A loud roar sounded. She quickly sat in her seat and the Narnians began laughing as her posse walked away.

That night, Lucy woke, hearing footsteps and saw a shadow pass the tent.

"Susan! Isabel!" she called with a whisper.

Susan and Isabel opened their eyes and the sisters left the tent. They followed the figure; Aslan.

Susan, Isabel and Lucy appeared and Aslan asked, "Shouldn't you three be in bed?"

"We couldn't sleep," Lucy admitted.

"Please, Aslan," Susan said. "Couldn't we come with you?"

Aslan gave the three a small smile. "I would be glad of the company for a little while. Thank you."

They buried their hands in Aslan's mane and walked with him for awhile. Eventually, he said, "It is time. From here, I must go on alone."

"But Aslan-" Susan and Isabel began.

"You have to trust me, for this must be done. Thank you, Susan. Thank you, Lucy. Thank you, Isabel. And farewell."

Aslan walked on and Isabel led her sisters to a small hill, so they had a better view. Aslan walked closer to the Stone Table, where the Witch waited with her army.

STONE TABLE

"Behold, the great lion," the White Witch said.

General Otmin poked Aslan with his axe. Aslan growled a little. Otmin looked at the Witch and she nodded. He turned back and knocked Aslan over.

"Here kitty, kitty," Ginarrbrik taunted. "Do you want some milk?"

Lucy whispered, "Why doesn't he fight back?"

Isabel shook her head. "The Witch can't bear the thought of the prophecy playing out, so she has to... He can't die. If he does..."

The creatures started kicking Aslan. The Witch yelled, "Bind him! Wait. Let him first be shaved!"

Ginarrbrik brought a knife out and some of Aslan's mane was cut off. The other creatures soon joined in.

"Bring him to me," the Witch ordered.

The creatures dragged Aslan to the Stone Table and tied him down.

The Witch spoke to the lion. "You know, Aslan, I'm a little disappointed in you. Did you honestly think by all this that you could save the human traitor?"

Susan, Isabel and Lucy shared a look, conveying both worry and terror.

The Witch continued. "You are giving me your life and saving no one's. So much for love." She stood. "Tonight, the Deep Magic will be appeased! But tomorrow... we will take Narnia... forever!"

The creatures cheered and Aslan looked at Lucy.

The Witch yelled, "In that knowledge... Despair... and DIE!"

She plunged the knife into Aslan. Issbel let out a gasp. Aslan growled in pain and his eyes slowly closed.

"The great cat... is DEAD!" the Witch cried.

Her army cheered loudly and she turned to Otmin. "General, prepare your troops for battle. However short it may be."

Otmin let out a loud roar.