[7]

Soar for her, Phantom

Admiral Iceman passed away, it was the funeral which Detachment training was canceled. Iris did have a few interactions with Iceman but mostly him giving her wisdom and guidance but she knew her father and mostly her uncle were devastated. While her father was close with Maverick and Goose, her uncle was close with Iceman, she just knew he was hurting.

So many thoughts went through Iris's head, it had just hit her. The last funeral she attended was her own mother's at seven years old.

.............

As everyone left, Iris went up to her uncle. "I am so sorry Uncle Gunther, I know you two were extremely close." Iris said to him. He couldn't help but pull his niece into a hug. "Thank you sweetheart." He said to her as he stared back down at the ground. Iris felt her heart shatter. "Would you like some company?" Iris asked. "No, I will be fine... I think lover boy is waiting for you." Gunther said to his niece which caused her to give him a look. "I'll see you around." Iris said as she walked off leaving her uncle alone again.

She walked up to Bradley. "Is your uncle doing alright?" Bradley said as they walked to his bronco. "He's devastated, I offered him my company but he wants to be alone which I understand." Iris explained. "So I can take you home..." Bradley said. "Maybe I can come back to your place, do something fun?" She asked him. "I got something planned." Bradley said which caused her to smile a bit.

...............

After Fireball heard Maverick getting kicked off the mission, an idea popped into his head. But he hopes it works because no way he's allowing Simpson to change things on these pilots now. So he drove to his brother's house. He stormed into the house which alarmed his brother.

"Gunther what the hell, are you alright?" Davon asked him. "I wasn't then I was and now I sure as hell ain't now." Gunther said as he paced around the room. "What happened?" Davon asked. "Cyclone kicked Maverick off the mission that's what." Gunther replied which Davon's eyes. "With the mission not many days way." He questioned him and Gunther nodded. "Who taking over?" Davon asked. "Cyclone himself." Gunther replied. "This can't be good..." Davon said.

"I have an idea." Gunther said. He looked around for Iris then he looked at his brother. "Where's Iris?" Gunther asked. "She's at Bradley's ..... Oh hell no you are not dragging my daughter into this and getting her in trouble by Cyclone and Warlock." Davon said sternly. "It's a great plan." Gunther said as he was heading out. "Stupid one." Davon said. Gunther looked at his brother, "Aren't you the one who hung around Goose and Maverick then proceed to get into a heap of shit... and you are calling my ideas stupid." Gunther said. "But your thinking like him." Davon said. "What's your point, we have to try my idea or we may never see Iris again after this mission, you already lost Marion, I don't want you to lose your daughter either." Gunther said. Davon sighed. "Go for it." Davon said and Gunther left to go talk to his niece.

............

Iris was rubbing circles on Bradley's back, "So much for taking our time with everything but oh well." Iris said which caused Bradley to chuckle then the door knocked. Before Bradley thought of getting up. "Don't worry, I'll see who it is, is there anything you want when I return?" Iris asked as she threw on an outfit then threw her hair into a messy bun as she sat back down onto the bed. "You." He responded which caused her cheeks to reddened, she got up from the bed again and head to Bradley's front door. She opened the door to find her uncle standing there. "Uncle Gunther, what a surprise, what brings you by?" She asked.

He sighed. "Can I talk to you privately?" He asked her. She nodded as she stepped out on the porch and closed the door. They took a seat on the porch chairs that Bradley has on his porch. "Is everything alright?" She asked. "Not really... Cyclone kicked Maverick off the mission and he's no longer your guys's instructor." Gunther replied which cause Iris's eyes to widen. "But the mission is not that far away, Cyclone will go the complete opposite of what Maverick taught us." Iris explained as she began to panic. "Like what are we going to do Uncle Gunther?" She questioned him.

He sighed, "I do have an idea and your father's against it... well sort of." Gunther said and Iris looked at him. "Go on." She said. "Have you fly what Maverick taught you and prove to the Admirals that Maverick's way will work out for this mission." Gunther responded. "But Nobody has been successful." Iris said and her uncle gave her a look. "That's not what Maverick told me." Gunther said which caused Iris to give her uncle a look. "Maverick said you come really close being on time with target time." Gunther said to her. "Uncle Gunther, I don't know." Iris said sounding unsure.

"Think about your mother and what she always told you." Gunther said. Iris froze when he brought her mother, she sighed. "It doesn't hurt to try it..." Iris mumbled. "You have to try, Soar for her, Phantom." Gunther said. Iris looked at her uncle and sighed. "Alright, I'll do it." Iris said. "Meet me there, just tell Rooster you had to talk to me." Gunther said and Iris looked at him. "So lying to my boyfriend." Iris said with her brow raised. "Technically not since you are with your uncle." Gunther said.

They sat in silence and Gunther broke it. "It's getting late, you should get some sleep." Gunther said. "See you in the morning." Iris said. "I hope you two are using protection." He said to her which caused her to whip her head and look at him. "UNCLE GUNTHER!" She exclaimed. "As much as I want Great nieces and nephews from you, but not now." He went on. "Good night Uncle." She said as she stepped foot into Bradley's house and shut the door.

Iris shook her head, went to the fridge grabbed her and Bradley a water. Then turned all the lights out and headed to his room. She took off her sweatpants, set the waters down onto the dresser then climbed into bed with Bradley. He turned over and held onto her waist. "Who was at the door?" He asked. Iris looked at him and stroked his face. "My uncle Gunther, we just talked." Iris replied. "Is he doing alright?" He asked. "Yeah... He asked if we could talk before class tomorrow, if I am late getting back in there, tell them I'm with him." Iris said and He nodded. Iris sighed. "Are you doing alright?" Bradley asked her. "No, today felt weird... the last funeral I attended... was my mother's" Iris said. Bradley pulled her closer to him and he pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "You know I love you." Bradley admitted which made her heart flutter. "I know, I love you too." Iris said as she snuggled into his chest, hearing the sound his heart beating which put her to sleep.

.........