003

Taishan was a five day journey from Huangcheng, the capital city of Duan. It was a towering mountain that housed many of the most renowned temples and monasteries in the kingdom. However, despite being designated as one of Duan's most spiritual places, few people made the journey from Huangcheng to the temples at Taishan because of its distance from the capital and its proximity to the Duan-Wei border, a region that was frequently plagued border skirmishes. The rich and wealthy from the capital much preferred to visit the temples at Ryoko and Xueshan, both of which were only a few hours away from the city and well within the Duan boundaries.

"Why did you choose to go all the way to Taishan, Miss Zi-ning?" Shujin grumbled as the horse carriage carried them out through the city gates and on the long journey towards the mountains. "We could have just gone to Ryoko temple instead."

"Taishan is quieter," Zi-ning replied simply, lifting the curtains to look out of the carriage. Looking back at the receding city walls, the left corner of her lips curled upwards.

I'll be back one day.

Of course she hadn't chosen Taishan just for the peace and scenery. She was going to Taishan because she wanted to look for those who would be able to help her ready herself for the long-drawn battle that was ahead.

In her previous life, she had come to learn from Ru-an that the former crown princess of Duan, Li Wanle, was residing at the Taishan temple, having chosen a pursue a path of religious prayer after the death of her husband, the former crown prince Shunzhi.

Almost eighteen years ago during the uprising led by one General Kang, the then-crown prince had personally led the Duan army into battle to eradicate the insurgents. Although the imperial court eventually won the fight, the prince had suffered an arrow to the heart and died before he could even be brought back to the capital. After the rebellion was quelled, the second prince Shunde took over his older brother's position as crown prince, succeeding the throne five years later after the late king's passing, and gradually the kingdom forgot that there had once been a valiant prince who fought side by side with the soldiers of Duan to protect the sovereignty of their land.

During the rebellion, the heavily pregnant crown princess had insisted on staying by her husband's side as he headed for the battlefront, but in the aftermath of the crown prince's death the princess's sorrow and despair resulted in a miscarriage. The broken-hearted princess had later sought permission from the king and queen to relocate to Taishan, where she had been ever since.

Lady Li Wanle was the only daughter of the Duke of Zhao, the head of the aristocratic Li clan that established its foothold over the western provinces of Duan.

Generations ago, the ancestors of the Li clan had fought side by side with the founding king of Duan, King Shangjun, and were thus considered one of the founding families of the kingdom alongside the Song and Ouyang clans. Out of gratitude for their loyal support, King Shangjun had conferred the title of Duke of Zhao to the head of the Li family, a title that was allowed to be passed down through the generations. Even though the Li clan had since withdrawn from government, choosing instead to lead a less restricted existence in the western provinces, they were still considered one of the most powerful and influential clans in the kingdom.

Had it not been for the crown prince's unfortunate demise during the rebellion, perhaps Li Wanle would now be sitting on the throne as queen of the kingdom, instead of spending her days meditating in front of the gods at the Taishan temple.

This was part of the reason why Zi-ning was voluntarily exiling herself to Taishan—because she wanted to meet the former crown princess, Lady Li, a person who would be able to teach her all she needed to know in order to take her revenge upon those who had trodden over her dead body to get to their goals.

Five days later, the horse carriage made its way up the mountainside and arrived at the doors of Taishan temple, an imposing and stoic structure that had been built at the edge of a steep cliff. Stepping out of the carriage, Zi-ning looked up at the large stone dragons guarding the entrance to the temple, their watchful eyes judging all those who made passage.

"Miss, isn't this place a little too deserted?" Shujin asked, looking around at the vast yet empty surroundings. Other than the rustling of leaves and the occasional chirping of crickets, hardly anything else could be heard in the vicinity.

"Silence can help to clear the mind," Zi-ning replied.

A young monk brought them into the temple, leading the way down the winding corridors towards the abbot's room. Throughout the temple they could hear the low hum of the monks in prayer, rhythmic and soothing, though none of it was able to touch the deepest reaches of Zi-ning's heart. The gods had long forsaken her, and her, them.

"Thank you for allowing me to stay here," Zi-ning said respectfully to the abbot when she entered his room. Shujin and Hana remained outside, along with the young monk who swiftly shut the doors behind her.

"The doors of the temple are always open to those who believe."

Abbot Sangzu, the head of the Taishan temple, was a much-revered personality in the kingdom, not only because of his vast theological knowledge but also because of his peerless healing abilities. The king himself had invited the abbot to the capital on several occasions, hoping to glean some wisdom from the elderly man, but had always been politely declined. A reclusive individual, Abbot Sangzu rarely granted an audience to anyone, even those who visited the temple, so it had come as a welcome surprise to Zi-ning that he had asked to see them today.

The abbot was the other half of the reason why she had chosen to come here. If she were to protect herself and those that she loved, being well-versed in the physician's art would be extremely useful. Perhaps that way she would not have had to witness her brother dying right before her own eyes and yet not be able to do anything to save him.

"Sometimes belief may not be enough," Zi-ning replied, her gaze falling upon the prayer beads lying on the abbot's table. In her previous life, she had prayed endlessly in hope that someone would rescue her from her despair, but no one answered.

The abbot said a quick prayer, then gestured for her to sit down across from him. "There is much bitterness inside you," he said calmly, "but if you let it continue to fester, it may lead you down a path that you do not wish to take." He smiled, pouring her a cup of tea.

"It is not my choice, Abbot." They had forced her down this path.

"You have the aura of the phoenix, and like the phoenix you will rise from the ashes and be reborn. It is an opportunity, but if you choose to let yourself be tied down by the past, you will not be able to find the peace that you are looking for."

Zi-ning's hand trembled for a moment, spilling a bit of her tea onto the wooden table below. She looked across at the abbot, a slight frown crossing her forehead. Does he know? she wondered to herself. But if he did, he made no attempt to reveal it.

"I am not looking for peace."

The abbot nodded, saying another prayer. After a couple more perfunctory exchanges, Zi-ning left the abbot's room, being led by the young monk to the quarters where she would be housed in for the duration of her stay. As he watched her leave, the abbot sighed, saying another prayer for the young girl.

"The phoenix is reborn, and with it, destinies will change."