041

The next morning, when Hana and Shujin entered Zi-ning's room to help their young mistress wash up, there was already someone standing in the room. A young girl who looked about the same age as they were but was almost one entire head taller than the both of them, her narrow, almond-shaped eyes staring sternly ahead. She was dressed in the same maidservant's attire as they were, yet she was an unfamiliar presence to both of them.

"Miss, who is this?" Hana whispered, still studying the newcomer carefully.

"This is Ahri. She's new to the household and she'll be serving me together with the both of you from now on," Zi-ning replied, rubbing her sore temples. She had a bit of a headache this morning because she it had taken her ages to get to sleep after Zhenghuan's sudden appearance last night, and the first person she saw when she opened her eyes was this lanky, stoic girl—the Shadow that Zhenghuan had brought along. She had tried asking Ahri to leave but the latter simply refused, saying that it was her master's orders that she was to stay here and protect Zi-ning.

Zi-ning sighed, not knowing whether or not she should be angry or grateful towards Zhenghuan. Nevertheless, since Ahri was not going anywhere then she might as well get used to the girl's presence. Both Hana and Shujin were not versed in the martial arts, so it might be helpful to have Ahri around in case of trouble.

"Did Lady Min send her?" Hana asked with a frown. New maidservants were usually brought in by the chief housekeeper and it was no secret that the chief housekeeper worked for Lady Min.

Zi-ning shook her head. "No, I hired Ahri myself," she fibbed. "Ahri knows some martial arts so she'll also be responsible for my protection."

Unlike Hana, who was still watching Ahri suspiciously, Shujin had already walked up to the new girl and had cheerily introduced herself. Unfortunately for her, Ahri was not the chatty sort and no matter how many questions she threw at the girl, all she received in return were a few one-word conversation killers.

When Zi-ning had washed up and gotten dressed, she headed to her grandmother's quarters for the morning greetings. Lady Wan and Meisi were already there and the latter threw her a scornful look when she saw her enter. Everyone knew about the rubies she had received from Prince Zhiren and the jealousy was still raging in Meisi's eyes.

"If it isn't my famous second sister," Meisi remarked snootily. "Everyone in the capital knows about the gift you received from the crown prince of Hua now. Why aren't you wearing those rubies today? Afraid they'll get stolen?"

"I have so many pieces of jewellery—I can't possibly wear all of them out unlike some people, can I?" Zi-ning replied calmly, taking her seat after greeting her grandmother.

Meisi's eyes blazed angrily when she heard Zi-ning's response, knowing full well that Zi-ning's barbed words were targeted at her. Because of her own insecurities, Meisi liked to deck herself with as much jewellery as she possibly could, as if she was afraid that people wouldn't be able to tell that she was the daughter of a rich household. This morning she had put on at least five different pins on her hair, a gold necklace and four jade bangles on her two wrists, even though she was only coming to greet the old madam. Unfortunately the adornments only served to add to her crassness.

"Enough, Meisi," Old Lady Sun said, wagging a warning finger at her youngest granddaughter. "It is an honour for your sister to receive a gift from the prince. Not everyone is able to share that sort of honour. It would do well for you to guard your tongue, and not to take after your mother."

Meisi's mother, Lady Wan, came from a relatively lacklustre family background. Lady Wan was the third daughter of an official who worked at the Ministry of Protocol and was born to one of his concubines. Were it not for the fact that she had given birth to Meisi, her position in the Han household would hardly be worth shouting about, considering her family background wasn't at all helpful to the minister.