045

The fiasco soured the mood of the temple visit, and Consort Song decided to return to the palace two days early. Attendants rushed to pack everyone's belongings and load it up to the horse carriages, creating a flurry of activity at the entrance of the otherwise serene temple grounds.

Zi-ning sat in her carriage, lifting the curtain slightly to watch the bustling going on outside. She spotted Lady Min boarding her own carriage ahead, with Meiyan and an anxious-looking Meisi trailing along behind her. The latter was likely worried about facing the judgement from their father and grandmother once they returned to the capital. Rightfully so, for her actions had grossly shamed their family name and the minister would not be pleased with it.

Since the incident, Zi-ning had not seen either Situ Zhiren or Du Zhenghuan. Might they have left already? The prince of Hua would likely not want to dally and be reminded of his embarrassment. As much as he appeared nonchalant, Zi-ning sensed the rage that he kept stoppered inside. She did not miss the pointed look that Situ Zhiren had given her before he stormed out of the room after the debacle. He was a smart man, and it would not be surprising if he had pieced things together and suspected her involvement in it. She would have to be on her guard from now on, at least until Situ Zhiren left Duan and returned to his own kingdom.

As for Zhenghuan... She sighed, setting the curtain back down. She was the one who had told him not to meddle in her affairs, so it was just as well that he was keeping away. She didn't need to drag another innocent person into this web of vengeance that she was spinning.

"Miss, I think we're ready to leave," Hana reported, stepping into the carriage. Ahri was riding outside with the carriage driver.

Zi-ning nodded.

Hana gave the instruction and the carriage rumbled into motion. Ryoko Temple was not far from the capital, and it would take them little over half a day to complete the journey. Closing her eyes, Zi-ning leaned back against the cushioned seat and tried to catch some sleep. It was just as well that this temple episode had come to a close, for it was too tiring having to constantly watch her back.

#

They had probably been on the road for an hour or two when Zi-ning was rudely awoken by a sudden jerk of the carriage. Her body lurched forward, and she would have hit the floor if Hana hadn't caught her in time. In the background, she could hear the loud pounding of horse hooves. It sounded like there were at least ten horses.

"Are you alright, Miss?" Hana asked worriedly.

"What's going on outside?"

Right on cue, an arrow hurtled in through the window, impaling itself on the wooden wall of the carriage. Both Zi-ning and Hana stared at the arrow in shock.

"Miss, we're under attack. Hang on," Ahri's voice echoed from outside.

The horse carriage sped up, jolting up and down as the wheels rolled over loose rocks along the rural forest path. Zi-ning looked out of the window. They were being chased by several burly men dressed in patched-up clothing, brandishing various weapons. She withdrew her head just in time to avoid being struck by yet another flying arrow.

"Are they forest bandits?" Hana asked, her face pale with fear.

"Perhaps," Zi-ning replied. From their manner of dress, they did look like regular bandits. It was not uncommon for merchants and travellers to encounter rogues in the woods surrounding the capital city who would rob them of their goods and belongings, yet her instincts told her that this was no ordinary bandit attack. Even though the men were dressed like bandits, the horses they were riding were pure breed stallions which would have cost them an arm and a leg. Of course, they might have robbed those horses off a horse merchant, but she suspected otherwise.