060

The journey to Zhuiya was surprisingly smooth, with none of the expected disturbances along the way—but that in itself was unnerving. The closer they got to the border city, the stronger the feeling that they were walking straight into a trap, yet there was no other way except to continue pressing forward.

"We're here," Zhenghuan announced.

Zi-ning lifted the curtain of her carriage. The Zhuiya city walls had come into view, the neat grey stone creating an illusion of peace and stillness that hid the rot that taken hold within. Along their journey, Zhenghuan had received daily reports from his scouts about the situation in the city, and each one was worse than the one before. Zi-ning almost expected to be arriving to a dead city, so the presence of the two measly guards standing in front of the towering wooden gates was a relief. Both of them had cloths tied around their mouths and noses, to protect them from whatever was ailing the city.

"Stop. Turn around," one of the guards said, "the city is under lockdown. No one is allowed to enter or leave."

Zhenghuan held out the golden token that the king had given him. "We are here under orders from His Majesty. The king has sent the imperial physicians here to offer aid to the city's residents. Let us in."

The guard took one look at the token and gulped, quickly stepping aside. "Shadow Lord, forgive me," he apologised. Turning around, he shouted some instructions and the heavy doors to the city slowly creaked open.

All at once, the entourage was accosted by a horrendous stench that smelled like a mix of death and decay.

"What is that vile odour?" one of the imperial physicians called out. Several heads popped out through the carriage windows, peering curiously around. Before they could get an answer, a loud shout from within the city left them all reeling with alarm.

"The gates are open! The gates are open!"

A stampede of footsteps could be heard pounding the dirt, and a mass of heads began swarming towards the gates—and the entourage.

"Stand back! All of you get back! No one is allowed to leave. Go back to your homes!" the city guards barked. They quickly shifted out a row of wooden barricades with sharp spikes that would impale anyone who dared climb over.

The people slowed, stopping in front of the barricade.

"Let us out! Why are we being locked in the city? If we continue to stay here, all of us are going to die!"

"You barbarians are trying to send us to our deaths! There are women and children in here. How could you do this to us?"

"Open the gates and let us go! Or else we'll burn down this barricade!"

Anger and desperation raged from the voices and faces of the people of Zhuiya. Mothers carried their children in their arms, and men supported their elderly parents, all of them carrying bundles of their belongings, looking as though they had been preparing to escape for a long while. Despite their threats and aggression, Zi-ning felt nothing but sympathy for these people. No one wanted to die, nor did they want to watch their loved ones die, knowing that there was nothing they could do.

The soldiers of Zhenghuan's Shadow Army formed a row in front of the carriages, readying themselves in defensive position.

Zhenghuan held out his hand, signalling to them to not take action. He cajoled his horse a few steps forward.

"Residents of Zhuiya, I am the Shadow Lord," he said, his voice echoing loud and clear.

Immediately, a silence fell upon the crowd. Everyone had their eyes on Zhenghuan.