Chapter 45 - Matters of the Heart

Elian and I were still several meters away from the ballroom's arched doorway, but I could clearly hear the music and bustling murmurs pouring out into the hallway.

Elian had been shifting since earlier, as though he was unable to keep his focus ahead.

Before reaching the doorway, I turned to him and placed a hand on his forearm. "Are you looking for someone?"

If I was correct, I'd already know his answer. These past three days, I hadn't seen his treasured knight anywhere near him nor have I actually laid my eyes on Theon. Perhaps I was right in assuming that there was discord between them. And this fight wasn't just like any of their banters whenever Elian would return, bringing me gifts.

Elian twitched before facing me. "What, me? Looking for someone? Hardly."

He noticed how he'd raised his voice and how he sounded too defensive. He flicked his head to the other side.

I narrowed my eyes. "You can tell me. Is there something wrong?"

He shook his head. "It is nothing."

I squeezed his arm gently. "You don't have to bottle it all up, you know. I am here."

"Everything's perfect, Clary." His jaw went taut, his voice low. "You may look like her, but you're not my sister so stop acting like it."

It was as if pointed tips of broken glass pricked my chest. His words stung. He'd been cranky recently, but this was just bad.

I knew he'd regretted letting me console him that night. He'd laid himself bare at his most vulnerable state. I reached out to him, thinking like I could ease his pain the same way as when we were children. When I was still his sister.

I let out a sigh. "I am perfectly aware of that. But the offer remains standing."

He faced me, the tension in his brows disappearing. Elian offered me half a smile.

"You two, do hurry up!" Lady Ruth called and we turned to her at the same time. "We must not keep everyone waiting."

Kazriel was already beside her, waving at us. They were standing by the massive double doors that led toward the expansive ballroom beyond. Relief washed over me upon seeing him. He seemed more than okay. After Ethan had confronted me, I thought he would hurt Kazriel as a warning. But then again, in the Solarian Law, inflicting wounds to the royal family was a crime to humanity.

We hastened our steps and went to them. As expected, Ethan had his usual place behind Kazriel, stoic and observing his surroundings like a hawk. He shot me a penetrating gaze.

Before curtsying, I smiled at the Grand General as if to say: 'Relax, I am not going to do anything...yet.'

"I offer my greetings to the glorious sun of the empire." I raised my head. "Your Majesty, I am glad to see that you are faring well."

Kazriel chuckled, the crown on his head tipping slightly. His attire was an upgraded version of Elian's, with a velvet cape dangling on his back. "Hello, Clary. I feel the same as you. Although here I am, thinking we're already past all those formalities."

"I'm afraid we are very far from the pavilion as of the moment." I glanced knowingly at Ethan. "Besides, the Grand General might have my head cut off for the crime of discourtesy."

This earned another laugh from Kazriel. Lady Ruth joined in too. The Grand General gave me a subtle glare.

"You bring pleasant company as always, Clary." Kazriel winked.

I put a hand on my chest. "I shall take that as a compliment."

Elian stepped forward and whispered in a hush. "Hey, don't leave me out. I'm part of your schemes now, too. I know everything."