Chapter 53 - The Viper Shows Its Fangs

Derek wedged the blade further into my skin. The coldness of it stung, prickling my neck.

I stifled a gasp as my heart skipped a beat. What was he doing?

Palace guards stormed into the room, flanking the Grand General. Ethan's sneer was wide as he studied the lifeless adviser, lolled on a puddle of blood. There was no denying the wicked triumph on his face.

Ethan's guards remained at his rear as he closed the distance between us.

He clucked his tongue, clearly amused. "The Duke. What were you thinking? Is it not sufficient that you killed one of the Emperor's advisers that you now have to take a lady of the court as hostage? I take it you have forgotten that she is the Prince's dearest fiancée."

"Oh, I know how valuable she is," Derek seethed, and chills crawled along my spine.

I froze, my stomach falling, falling, falling. I faltered, but Derek steadied me. To them, it didn't look like that. So the guards unsheathed their swords.

It didn't matter to them that his sword was clean and that my bloodstained dagger was impaled into the door a few meters beside them. This was all they were seeing: the Duke was the one holding the weapon, threatening a fragile-looking lady with blood splatters on her gown.

Ethan made an act of raising his hand to signal his men to stand by. He appeared thrilled, his aura sizzling with delight.

No, this was wrong. Derek shouldn't do this! He must not take the blame for me. I did this. He shouldn't sacrifice himself!

As if sensing my unrest, he whispered in my ear, "Please, love. I need you to play along. It'll be over once they imprison us both."

"I will not let you suffer alone," I hissed beneath my breath. Although I was starting to think it through. Was this truly the only way out of this? Derek in prison, while I, the perpetrator, would be free. That was unthinkable.

"Stop being so stubborn," Derek mumbled. "And just trust me."

Again, the guards misread the gesture. Derek must have been putting up quite the convincing display. The guards shifted, Ethan motioned for them to calm down. They were being deluded by this old man, for the gods' sake.

Was it important? Soon enough, they'd be met with the revelation once the coup ensues. And perhaps I should be there to stop it if it happened. But what was I to do without Derek?

"Name your price." Ethan's vicious grin was solely visible to us. "We will do everything in our power if it means Lady Clarisse's release."

"Trust me, please." Derek said it with so much desperation and ache in his voice that I had to yield. I breathed, shoulders relaxing. He took that as a sign. He spoke loudly as he faced the Grand General. "I will spare her life. If you grant me a meeting with the Emperor."

A corner of Ethan's mouth tugged upward. "Very well. Now, let her go."

"Swear it," Derek demanded. "Swear that you will let me talk to Kazriel before I stand trial for my crime."

"You have my word," Ethan said flatly.

Every second Derek lowered his sword was one needle being stabbed into my heart. Ethan extended his arm, tilting his head to the side with a smirk. I clenched my jaw, barely resisting the urge to choke him.

"Come, dearest," Ethan said, as though calling for a pup to come to him. "You are free. Don't be afraid. He won't do anything to you."

'Except that I would,' were the words etched plainly on his eyes.