Chapter 16 : Rain

For the past few months, Agnus and I have been setting up the nursery. I love setting things up to look pretty.

Anyway, Yusuf is in his crib while I lay on the side sofa. The sound of foot steps approaching catches my attention so I quickly fake sleep. It's a habit from being on my phone at 3 am when my mom came to check on me, scary.

I hear someone come in and stop in front of me, walk to the other side to open the closet, and then feel them put a blanket over me.

When I think the coast is clear, I squint my eyes open. It's Elias, and he's in the corner of the nursery, praying Salah. Wait did I pray, oh wait, after giving birth you don't pray for a good month or two. Oh my god, that means I can get my nails done! Yay.

As I stare at the decor on the walls for a bit, I hear Elias clear his throat. I quickly shut my eyes hoping he didn't notice.

"I saw you."

Ugh. I slowly open my eyes.

"How're you feeling?"

"Surprisingly perfect. Alhamdulillah." Honestly I thought people would feel kind of sick the weeks after giving birth, but for me, I feel better than ever.

"Amara do you want to talk about yesterday?"

I roll to the side. "What more is there to say?"

"Jenny was broke. She had nowhere to go. When I dated her, I made her quit her job at the club and promised to provide for her if she stayed with me..."

Does that even make anything better? I let him continue.

"Wallah I didn't love her. I let my ego take a hold of me. I was a bad person Mar. But it would be unmerciful to throw her on the streets after I was the one in the wrong. So I gave her a place to stay."

I think for a bit. Okay that's what Jenny told me. "What about you visiting her?"

"I admit I did go to the penthouse a couple times. But it was for paper work or electrical related things. I promise. I even made her go upstairs so I can check everything with my workers."

I don't know if I should trust him.

"Please believe me. Wallah I'm telling the truth.."

He did say wallah. Just then Agnus walks in.

"Amara dear- oh did I interrupt?"

"No not at all."

"Here's a glass of water, I also ordered the baby things you told me to."

"Thank you. Also can you book an appointment at the nail salon please?" I expect her to say yes, but she looks at Elias.
"Why're you looking at him for, does he want his nails done too?"

"No it's just that I can't book anything without his per-."

Elias cuts her off, "Yes it's okay with me. I'll take her myself." How lovely.

-

"Please Amara I don't want to." Elias pleads.

"You have to."

"No."

I made an angry face and look away. I hear Elias groan, "Fine." I smile.

The poor Spa lady had to wait for me to convince him. "Yes he wants a mani padi done while I get my nails done." I smile at her.

"Right this way."

I get seated at the nail table while Elias sits on the pedicure chair while he continuously gives me unamused looks. He's such a drama queen.