Chapter 20 : Betray

I put Yusuf to sleep before we sit down to eat dinner.

Everyone at the table doesn't dare say a word. But my mom breaks the silence by loudly dropping her fork on the plate. "So tell me exactly why you couldn't be normal and come to me to ask for her hand?!"

Elias doesn't make eye contact. "I- I knew you would say no..." He says lowly.

My mom thinks for a moment. "Well, you are right. I would never marry my daughter off who had barely just graduated from high school to a man with a bad past."

Yikes. Elias does deserve that though. I look towards him but he's already looking at me. He's probably wondering about how she knows about his past, which obviously I told her about. Why would I hide things from my mom.

Elias clears his throat. "Amara would you pass the water jug?"

The audacity- He knows that I'm already pissed about him torturing Zayn. "You can get it yourself." I pause. "Just how you always get everything for yourself."

I can see Elias's jaw clench as he gets up to get the jug. He leans over me impossibly close to get it. I really had to control my self here. And remember he's the bad guy. It's just hard with his presence.

"Mama, do you remember Zayn. Zayn Ali?" I change the topic.

"Oh yes how could I forget. He was the sweetest young man. And your father's favourite." She laughs.

"Yeah well I actually met him while I was here." I say casually.

"Really? How?"

"He worked as one of Elias's security guards." I notice Elias tightening his fist.

"Worked? Well where is he now?"

"Elias why don't you tell her?" I look to him.

He takes a deep breath. "Amara. Why don't we talk about this another time?" He says quietly to me, maintaining his angry tone.

"No, Elias. I actually want to talk about this to my mother. The same mother you kept me away from for over a year." I say out loud.

"Wait where's Zayn?" My mom asks still clueless.

I stand up. "Well, Mom. Elias locked him up and beat him for something that wasn't his damn fault!"

Elias stands up too. "Amara ca-."

"Why? Because that's the horrible type of person he is!" I point to him.

Elias grabs my wrist. "Amara enough!" He yells.

"Don't touch me!" I free my wrist.

"Amara go to your room and cool off. You do remember we have a baby who is sleeping." He tells me.

"The same baby I didn't agree on!"

"Amara." He closes his eyes in anger. "If you won't leave. I will!" He grabs his coat and stomps off. I can hear the front door slam.

I look to my mom, who is in utter shock. "Amara, whatever this is, fix it. And I hope he isn't always like this..."

I take a deep breath. "I'll just be in my room, you can finish up and Agnus can show you to your room." I walk out.

Just as I'm about to head upstairs, there's a ring on the door bell. Agnus hurries to open it. "Amara, It's Zayn."

My heart drops. I run to the door to see him. "Zayn-."

"Hey. Is he-."

"No he's out. Come inside." I take him to the living room.

"Zayn how are you free?!"