Chapter 7 - The Party

As we reached the party, it was difficult to find parking but we managed, with Cam parallel parking expertly right next to Luke's car. She was a pro. Me, I had yet to learn driving. But, in my defense, I did not have a car and I did not want to borrow someone else's car to learn.

I had been thinking of taking a part-time job, though, so that I could have a steady paycheck. Then I would contemplate investing in a car.

Grabbing my purse, I hopped out of the vehicle, and joined the others as we ambled into the house where the party was already underway.

Knox and Max instantly started mingling with the crowd, while Janice, Cam, Luke and I loitered at the entrance.

"Hey, you can go," I said, turning to Cam. "You don't have to stand here with me. This is your playground, right?"

Cam laughed. "Yes, but this is your first party, so I'm here to show you the ropes. Although..." she stared pointedly at Luke, "looks like you already have a bodyguard."

He rolled his eyes. "I'll see you guys around," he said and disappeared into the crowd.

Cam looked surprised at his passive behavior but then smiled eagerly at me. "Right. So, first things first. You need to get a drink!"

I nodded, uncertainly. I had never had alcohol in my life. And I wasn't sure I would like it. Cam led me further into the house, where we encountered several people that we knew. Even Nathan, the bully was there, making out with a brunette. Hope she wouldn't get STD of the mouth.

We entered the kitchen where a blond boy was mixing drinks and a few guys were standing anxiously next to him. "Brian, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

The blond guy nodded confidently. "Of course. I have watched my brother do this thousands of times. Can't be that hard."

"Thousands of times? How much does your brother drink?"

"Okay, not thousands of times, alright? But I know what I'm doing."

Just when he was about to add one concoction into the other, Cam stopped him. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," she said calmly.

Brian narrowed his eyes at her. "Excuse me? Who are you?"

"Your mom," she shot back, straight-faced. "And you're just wasting good booze by mixing whatever you can get your hands on like a monkey in a science experiment."

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing!"

Cam smiled at him, baring her teeth. "Fine. Mix it and then drink it yourself."

It was a clear challenge and Brian was in a dilemma. Also, he had an audience. Slowly, he looked around at the guys watching him. Some boys had already started snickering.

Scowling, he hesitated for a beat but then he mixed the drink. Looking ill at ease, as if he were now doubting his own capabilities, he took a big gulp.

And then he bravely swallowed.

For two seconds, nothing happened. He smiled smugly at Cam. Before he turned and puked in the sink.

"Wow," said Cam, as everyone laughed. "Everyone's entitled to act stupid once in a while, but this guy really abuses the privilege."

"What's going on here?"

Everyone turned around and there, at the doorway, in all his glory, was none other than Dean Davis, the star of Weston High. And he was staring at Cam in loathing, his mouth twisted in a glower.

"Um, just messing around," said Cam, looking visibly confused at the aggressive tone. She looked wide-eyed at me, silently asking me if the boy was actually having such a bizarre reaction. I mouth-shrugged back at her, just as confounded as she was.