Chapter 12 - Spite and Prejudice

Trigger warning: Bullying.

Unlike the others, this chapter is gonna be an emotional ride. Buckle up.

The next day during lunch, the first thing I noticed in the cafeteria was Cam and Luke huddled in the corner, whispering urgently. I frowned. I had seen them talking alone in the Business Management class, as well. They were up to something. Cam was talking animatedly, making exaggerated hand movements, while Luke listened attentively.

Before I could go ask them what they were discussing, I felt a hand touch my forearm.

"Hey," said Mason. "Do you want to eat with me again?"

Stifling my exasperation, I nodded. I still needed to talk to him about the previous day fiasco.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked, as we took our food.

I sighed. "Not mad, exactly. I mean, just a bit irked. Yesterday I told you to follow my lead. You just went and did your own thing." We sat down at our table alone, so we could talk privately.

"I'm sorry," Mason said, shaking his head. "There's just something about him that makes me want to rile him up."

"That's not cool, Mason. We agreed. I was the leader."

Mason raised his arms in surrender. "Okay, okay. But hear me out, alright? You're too warm-hearted for this. You're so attached to Luke, that I don't think you actually want to make him upset and jealous."

"Yes, well, he's my best friend. He's closer to me than my own family. Of course, I don't want to hurt him," I explained. I should have made this clear from the get go.

"My point exactly. So why don't you let me do what I do best and make him want to steal you away from Big Bad Mason. We need to get his protective streak running." He bit into his burger.

"What does that prove? That he cares about me? That he doesn't want me to be hurt? How do you know he doesn't have big-brotherly feelings for me?"

"There is a very subtle difference in outward appearance between the two," he said, chewing slowly. "And only by making him immensely jealous, can we find out the difference."

I hesitated. "I'm scared that this plan of yours is going to hurt Luke emotionally and it's going to get you hurt physically."

Mason placed his hand over his heart, ostentatiously. "I'm honored that you're scared for me."

I huffed out a laugh. "Yeah, because I think Luke might just kill you."

"Hey, so I'm not sure how to solve the seventh question in the Calculus assignment

"Hey, so I'm not sure how to solve the seventh question in the Calculus assignment. Can you help me?" said Ana as we were washing our hands, after using the restroom. The day had almost ended and I was feeling unusually tired. I had a blooming headache and my back hurt.

"Yes, of course. How about we meet after school tomorrow to discuss?" I pressed my fingers into my right temple.

Ana's face turned suppliant. "Can't we do it today after school? I have a thing tomorrow."