Chapter 14 - The Breakup

Trigger warning: Mentions of child abuse.

I wasn't gonna post Luke's POV but I thought it was necessary to help my readers understand him a little better.

So here goes. Presenting: Luke's side of things. 

LUKE

2 hours ago

I drove to the school, forcing myself to stop grinding my teeth. The cursed recording was playing on repeat in my head. I hated it when someone hurt Aria. I hated it even more when it was because of me.

I found a free parking spot in the school parking lot. Then I just sat there for a minute, contemplating on what I was about to do. But it had to be done. I dialed the number. It was the lesson before lunch so I knew Angelina wouldn't pick up. But if she saw that I had tried to call her, she was sure to reply back. She knew that I was not a texting kind of person.

As expected, my call went to voicemail. I pressed end and kept the phone on the passenger seat next to me.

Then I waited, drumming the steering wheel. I wanted this to be as painless as possible. I knew Angelina hated Aria but I did not think she would retaliate like this. Whoever had recorded their conversation had done me a favor. I doubted Aria would ever complain about Angelina to me. She just wasn't that person. And that's what killed me.

When we were around twelve years old, Aria visited her aunt and uncle in Vermont during the summer break with her mom and sister. My parents took our family to Orlando, Florida that summer. It was a memorable time at the beach and Disney World but I still missed Aria desperately. Since Aria's mother would not allow her a phone, we could hardly communicate, except the few times she could use her mother's cellphone.

The day we returned, Aria ran to my house and the moment we were alone in my room, she hugged me tightly. I was already taller than her but not by much. My heart had thudded loudly at being so close to the girl who I thought about way more that I should.

Then I realized that she was crying. After an hour of coaxing and prodding, she told me that her uncle used to hurt her. For two weeks she had endured the abuse. When she mustered up the courage to tell her mother about it, her mom didn't believe her, warning her against making up stories.

That day, I realized the true meaning of rage. My young twelve-year-old self felt powerless. She had been hurt and I hadn't been there to protect her. I wanted to shield her from all the dangers of the world.

She triggered my protective instincts like no other.

After waiting for about half an hour, I was startled out of my preoccupation when Angelina called back.

"Hi, babe!" she gushed and I gritted my teeth at the delight in her voice. "How come you aren't at school today?"

"I'm in my car in the parking lot right now. We need to talk."

Immediately, her voice became wary. "Is everything ok?"

I did not answer her question. "Could you come out, please?" I rubbed the back of my neck. This was taking a toll on my stress levels already.

She agreed reluctantly. She probably knew what was about to go down.

After around five minutes I saw her in the periphery of my vison. As she climbed in my truck, she stared quizzingly at me. "What is it, Lucas? Where were you today?" She rarely called me Luke, saying it was too generic for her.

I turned to look at her. "I was at Aria's. She wasn't feeling very well."

Normally, when I talked about Aria, her face would go blank and she would try to change the subject. But since today I was looking for it, I saw the slight twitch in her brows. "I see," she said, smiling woodenly. "Anyways, you missed the best thing today. Apparently, Ryder dyed his eyebrows green for a bet. And he seemed totally cool with it. These guys are always doing something stupid or the other. You should have seen Mrs. Lane's face when she saw—"