Chapter 9 - Unicorns and the Rose

Author's Note:

Hey, beautiful people!

So last week I had asked what your favorite TV-show was and many said that it was Never Have I Ever. So I watched it. Just the first season as of yet. 

Annnnnddd....

It was good. Really good. But I thought Devi was a bit irritating and too full of herself. What do you guys think? I still need to watch two more seasons, so no spoilers, please :P

 What do you guys think? I still need to watch two more seasons, so no spoilers, please :P

The next day, I got up late, at just before 10. Since I had barely sipped my beer the previous night, I was glad to notice that I wasn't hungover. I had been dreading it.

Checking my phone, I realized I had gotten an email from my dad.

Hey hun, 

How are you? Just checking in.

Remona and I are in the Philippines right now and the weather is great. You girls would really enjoy it here. It's gorgeous. My work takes me to such amazing places. I really am blessed.

Miss you angels.

Love, Dad

Wow. Even with the shortest of emails, he still manages to hurt me. He really was blessed to have such a great life. Good for him.

I typed out a quick response, even though I could practically imagine Luke disapproving. Well, one more thing that I would be hiding from him. It was nothing new.

Hi dad,

Thanks for checking in. Glad you're having fun. We're doing fine.

A

Good. To the point. Curt. I didn't want to seem too happy to get a scrap of an email from him.

After taking a quick shower and washing my hair, I got dressed in one of the dressier tops that I had—a loose black button-down with blue flowers—with faded black jeans. I put on mascara and swiped on some pink lip gloss and I was good to go. Since my hair was wet, I decided to let it air dry. I clipped it on the side like Cam had done for me the previous day and left the rest loose down my back. Already I felt overdressed.

Brunch at Brian and Emily's was a casual affair. But I also couldn't go wearing one of my boy t-shirts looking like a total homeless person. No one would say anything but I would feel uncomfortable.

Luke was the one who opened the door. For a second, he just stood there, blinking.

"What?" I asked him, awkwardly.

"Um, nothing." He shook his head, waving me in. "Come in."

While my house was very minimalistic and cold, the Miller's home was all warm colors and floral patterns. With three men in the house, it was apparent that Emily was the official decorator.