Chapter 16 - The Bet

"Mr. Miller and Ms. Matthews, be on your way," said Mrs. Lane, before we could all make a run for it. "The rest of you. Stay back."

My whole body tensed. The teacher had probably seen the altercation. Thankfully, she would not allow the bullies to leave without some form of disciplinary action. Nathan's band of miscreants stood apprehensively. For once Nathan wasn't grinning like an idiot. Instead he was scowling at the teacher, his arms crossed stubbornly.

Yasmeen shot us a worried look. But then her lips thinned in determination as she faced Mrs. Lane.

When I hesitated, Luke pulled me away. "You can talk to her later. Not now," he muttered.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. I tried to look for Yasmeen but could not locate her. The entire day, people had been staring at Luke and I.

Cam speculated me that it was probably because of the recording and how it had spread to the whole school. People still did not know that Luke and Angelina had broken up—except for our close friends—but there was a lot of conjectures and rumors flying around.

Angelina seemed to be AWOL from school, but her minions could be spotted, scowling whenever they noticed me watching them. But no one dared to talk to me.

"So, I heard there was a recording?"

I gasped, startled as a voice spoke right next to my ear. I had been collecting my books for the Calculus class from my locker and a couple of them slipped from my hand. It was Mason. But he was so silent, I hadn't heard him approach.

"Uh. Yeah," I said, trying to shake off the tension coiling my body. "Did you listen to it?"

Mason apologized, getting down on his haunches with me to pick up the books. "I might have." I had never seen him look so somber. "Angelina was way out of line. Still don't know what Luke sees in her."

I shook my head, standing up and dusting off my text books. "They broke up."

Mason stilled. "What?"

"Yeah," I said, trying to conceal my shy smile.

Mason grinned back. "Nice work, Luke! Never thought I'd be impressed with him but I guess there's a first time for everything."

I laughed, depositing the required books in my backpack.

"I'm just a bit disappointed though."

"What? Why?" My forehead furrowed.

"Because I thought I had another means of torturing him," he said, grinning evilly. "We would have gone on a double date. I would have whispered sweet nothings in your ear. Maybe fed you a little piece of chicken from my fork when we were out for dinner. It would have killed him!" He wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

I laughed at the picture he painted. "You're so mean!"

"Just to him."

"Don't go blaming Luke here. You're one to talk. If you listened to the recording, you must have heard about Megan too then?" I crossed my arms.