NINETEEN | acting.

Just as the unnamed man told her they would, Tess's handcuffs unlocked themselves minutes after the car dropped her off. She tore them off and dropped them unceremoniously into someone's garbage can.

She was near the city's only river. It was artificial and contained recycled water because the outside was contaminated. The houses near it were big and expensive, with waterfront property always in high demand.

The man spoke in her ear. "They're at a house directly on the river's edge. It has two big stone columns and a red door."

"If you know where they are, why don't you just raid the place and—"

"Strategy." He paused as if considering how much to tell her. "The bigger picture is that ship above. Quiet, now. You're almost there."

She spotted the house. There were no lights on.

"What am I supposed to do? Ring the doorbell?"

"Figure it out. And make them believe you're loyal only to them."

She looked down at herself. Her clothes were dirty since she'd been wearing them during their entire captivity. Her skin was red with forming bruises from the guards manhandling her.

She'd have to put on a show to make this convincing. To save Kyle. 

She knew she had gained more control over her brain. So this time, instead of calming herself, she did the opposite. She let the chemicals of panic and fear flow at full force, all at once.

It was the strongest sensation she'd ever experienced.

It felt like plummeting from a great height, receiving the worst news of her life, choking salt water into her lungs—every horrible thing that could happen to a person, all at once.

Her legs shook and then folded. Her heart almost pounded out of her chest.

A small part of her remembered her goal and crawled toward the house, streaks of grass and dirt staining her clothes. She'd look insane, but that was the point.

By the time she reached the front door, she felt psychotic.

She saw people around her who couldn't possibly be there, but they felt intensely real. Matt was staring at her, arms crossed with a look of betrayal. Her parents were weeping. Jason was smiling wickedly. Kyle looked cold and lifeless.

She shuddered, bile rising in her throat.

Then Jade stood looking down at her. Was she real?

Jade knelt down in front of her, hair fading into the black night sky. "Look who came crawling back." Her voice was smooth and emotionless as she assessed Tess. "I take it something's happened to Kyle."

Tears streamed down her face and sobs rocked her body. She'd already fooled herself into believing it was true, so she didn't have to act.

Jade seemed to take this as a confirmation that Kyle was dead. "What a pity. He was a good soldier."

She rose and called two of her young minions over to drag Tess inside, just like the City's guards. Both sides of this war felt the same to her now.

Rosalie entered the room and sat by Tess's head, running her hands through her tangled hair. It felt soothing. Eventually, Tess faded into sleep, her body too exhausted to keep conscious.

She jolted out of her skin when the man suddenly spoke in her ear. "I don't know what that was, but it seemed to work. Good job."

Tess looked around. She couldn't respond and be heard talking to herself. There were sleeping bodies everywhere she looked. All was quiet, and it was still dark outside. 

Then she spotted Jade standing silently in the doorway, face shadowed.

"We're leaving this house when the sun rises," Jade said. "Your assignment is with Shaun. I want you to help train the new recruits."

"Okay," Tess said obediently, resigned to doing whatever was asked of her.

"I get the sense you've learned your lesson. You know, if you hadn't left, we could have protected you both." Jade paused. "Your past transgressions are forgiven but not forgotten. We'll be keeping an eye on you."

"Understood."

Jade spoke slowly now. "If you ever act against me or the Species again, I will squash you like an insignificant insect."

Tess swallowed heavily, staring at the floor in subservience. When she looked up again, the doorway was empty.

Eventually, she nodded off again. This time, she was thrust back into visions of the alien world.

Same as before, something was chasing her. She could sense now that it wasn't just one thing but a horde rushing after her. But she was faster. She outran them and reached the ship. The ship that had taken her here, to be implanted into a girl named Tess.