Ch. 2 Fall of the Fountain

Several months previously...

*Chiara

The battle lasted the day and into the darkening dusk. Angels with their bright wings flashed in the sky, but fewer and fewer. Demons screamed their pain and hate, but kept coming. Chiara screamed in reply. Smoke-filled air choked her and blood stung her eyes. Defend the Fountain, defend the Fountain, defend the Fountain. Her orders echoed in her head. If the demons took the Fountain, the key to entering Heaven would be in their hands.

As the defenses crumbled—leaving gaping holes in both the lines of angel warriors and walls around the sacred grounds—demons poured in, slashing and killing. Chiara's body was a mass of aching muscles and sharp pains from open wounds. She moved mechanically. Desperately. There was no thought but to survive. And to survive, she had to kill. Her angel heart was cased in ice.

"Hold!" Daviid cried. He jabbed his sword upwards into the gut of a demon dropping from the parapet. "Our brethren come! We will hold these grounds!"

Chiara sidled closer to her Captain. She was a fresh recruit. Too fresh. The others had laughed when she arrived two days ago, telling her to wait out the coming fight in the barracks, since it would be an easy win. There were only a dozen angels left standing.

The battle blurred as she blocked, parried, attacked, stabbed. As she brought her arm down to slice off the head of her foe, she screamed. His head went rolling and a splatter of acidic blood blinded her.

She swiped it from her eyes hastily. A demon jumped in front of her, teeth bared. She raised her sword. Too late—

He slumped forward as another sword came through his chest. Daviid kicked the body free from his weapon. "Steady, Chiara, they are coming!"

She followed the quick movement of his eyes skywards, but she didn't see the white flash of angel's wings in the sun. The last angels crowded to the temple entrance, the stone wall at their backs.

The sky was dark with demons. The ground was seething with demons. Their rancid stench cut her lungs. Death reigned in the sacred grounds of the Fountain of Life.

"Hold!" Daviid cried again. Then he grunted, a gasp of shock and pain.

Chiara turned to see a sword bright with his blood slide from his chest. The angel at her shoulder jostled her and fell, only to be dragged from the stone steps by a screeching horde of demons. She was the last one.

She raised her sword as the killing surge slowed. They gather close to appraise her. They had to fight her. They had to.

"Come and fight me! Are you afraid? I am not. I will die here, fighting you!"

A stream of light shone into the courtyard from a break of the hordes in the sky. The other angels were coming! Courage gave her strength. She would die—but she would die as a warrior with her kind. A sharp pain exploded in her skull. She sank to the ground. As the light faded from her eyes, a blood and sweat-stained demon, the one who had killed Daviid, circled her. He knelt at her side.

"Die fighting?" he asked, a sneer contorting his face. "I think not. We will have such fun, you and I."

She glanced past him to the break in the gathering clouds, where the light had been streaming through only seconds before. The angels. Where were they? The only thing coming onto the sacred grounds were more demons. A black sack was shoved over her head.

*** Thank you for reading! Hit that star if you enjoyed!!! ***