Ch. 12 Let's Play

*Chiara

When she was fighting at the Fountain, watching angels fall to demon swords, one thing comforted her—that the Dark Flame was not there to cut off their wings before they died.

She could hurt him, this was her chance. She could make him suffer at her hand for a change. The tables would be flipped. It would be so easy.

It would feel so good, wouldn't it?

Lucius was so close his breath steamed on her skin. His nearness scraped her nerves like sandpaper, but his words were temptation as pure as if they stood in front of an open door to the Heavens. For one small act, she could be free. All she had to do was inflict pain on a demon who deserved it.

Wing-cutter.

Dark Flame.

How many had Logan tortured before killing them? Hundreds of angels had fallen under his sword.

It would be so easy. Too easy.

And yet, her soul wept at the thought. This same demon had held her with his voice through nights of unending darkness and pain.

She met Lucius's gaze, the lust in his eyes sickened her. There was the truth—not what he said, but in what he wanted. What he wanted was for her to belong to him.

"I won't do what you ask," Chiara said.

"Hah!" Logan laughed at her. "She's weak. I have told you that from the beginning. It takes courage to face an enemy, and she doesn't have any. Now let me loose and give me the same orders."

Yes. Let him prove once and for all who he really is. Let him end me.

Instead of freeing Logan, though, Lucius unlocked her wrists and ankles and dragged her across the floor. He shoved her at Logan, making her fall onto the demon.

The chains holding him were loose enough for him to catch her before she stumbled to the floor. His hand was feverishly hot on her bare skin. There was nothing of the disgust she should feel at being touched by a demon. Not when Logan had his arms around her. He lifted her close.

After months of imagining him touching her, this was the first time. She would hold this memory in a secret place of her heart, no matter if her life ended in a few minutes in a millennium.

"Do it," he breathed into her ear. "Do it, Chiara."

His hands were calloused and rough, but she imagined them running over her naked skin.

This instant was all she would ever have of him.

Her legs refused to hold her up. She slumped in his grasp. "I won't do what you want."

"But you will," Lucius said. He grabbed a fist-full of her hair to yank her head back. "You will do everything I require."

"I won't."

"Take the knife and cut him. Cut him anywhere you like, so long as the blood flows. One cut. That is all. Then you may go free. I will take to you to the top and let you go."

"I won't do what you want. Ever," she said, spitting the words.

Logan slipped an arm around her waist. He spoke to Lucius. "Getting closer to my every fantasy."

"Don't get too comfortable," Lucius warned. "She's about to use the knife."

"If only she would, but I doubt she has the strength. You know she claims to be a warrior? She told me she killed a dozen demons at the Fountain. As if it isn't obvious she was there to entertain the troops."