Ch. 53 Penance

*Chiara

Chiara stood still as Logan paced the short length of the antechamber outside the high counsel's hall.

The resemblance to the Hall of Lust was slightly unnerving, but she forced herself not to think of Hell. Instead, she took deliberately slow, deep breaths, trying to remain calm despite Logan's stomping on marble floor.

"If they come out here and say we are guilty, I won't go to an angelic prison. I've seen enough torture chambers in my life," he grumbled as he passed by.

She sighed. This was at least the fifth time he'd informed her he would not allow himself to be imprisoned. "There are no torture chambers, or dungeons, in Heaven."

"There are cells. It would be torture."

He stomped away. On his way back, she leaned closer. "If they come out and say we're guilty, I promise to freeze their feet to the floor so we can fly away."

He pointed his finger, opening and closing his mouth around a retort. Finally, he huffed and continued his stomping.

The door opened. They both whirled to see who came out.

Ythaniel.

He smiled at Chiara, studiously not looking at Logan. None of the angels wanted to accept this changed demon in their presence. Even Ythaneil, who had argued tirelessly on his behalf, had a difficult time looking at him.

Logan stomped closer and opened his leathery wings as if stretching. It had recently become his favorite past-time to be a dick to any angel in the room. Chiara put her hand on his arm, silently telling him to be nice.

Ythaniel cleared his throat. "The counsel has decided. You may remain in Heaven—"

"Yes!" Chiara shouted.

"But," Ythaniel continued slowly.

"Here it comes," Logan muttered.

"But the Dark Flame must prove he can no longer shift or produce the flames, and he must also do penance for the lives he has taken in the past."

"What does that mean?" Chiara asked.

"It means a cell and torture. I won't," Logan said. His hand mechanically reached for a sword he wasn't carrying. He slapped his thigh, annoyed. "I won't."

"He sacrificed his life to save mine, thereby saving thousands of angelic lives. If I had remained a Tenebrist, I would have destroyed all of the Heavens. You know that."

"I do, and I argued the same. But one sacrificed life does not make up for the hundreds he killed, and the wings he cut before killing them. They know who he was, Chiara. There are many calling for his death and not just penance."

"I'll leave," Logan said. "I don't ask you come with me Chiara, the Midlands is no place for you, but with the demon numbers halved, I can last there a long time."

"Out of the question," she said. "If you go, I'll follow."

"Wait," Ythaneil said. "There is no cell, no dungeon for you. The penance is more physical."

"Whipping?" Logan scoffed. "Not a chance."

Chiara gritted her teeth. "We don't whip anyone in Heaven."

"What then? Pulling off my fingernails? Hot poker to my eyes? I won't."

She dropped her hands in her head, groaning in frustration.

Luckily her brother continued. "You will have to work at rebuilding the Fountain gardens and temple. While other angels may volunteer, you will have to work everyday until it is finished."