𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ─ 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘢𝘸𝘬𝘸𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳 )

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗜𝗡. 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗢𝗨𝗧. 

For a second in time, she forgot everything unimportant and focused solely on where she was, on her objective. The slight sink of the grass beneath her weight, the strong beams of sunlight that persisted from above, causing beads of sweat to trickle on her neck. The crook of her fingers tightened around her racket, and she bounced the ball before serving.

When she played, that was all that existed for her. The game, the victory. It didn't matter who she was in that moment. All that mattered was winning. She had memorised every dent in the grass, knowing where to send the ball to get the upper hand on her opponent. She was a force to be reckoned with.

So it was no surprise when she won the set. 

A triumphant grin settled on her, slightly puffing her chest in pride.

"Jolene!"

Her reality sunk back in at the mention of her name. The game had finished ─ she was Jolene Gilmore again, Chilton's resident golden girl. Straightening her posture, she strutted over, feeling the swish of her white skirt between her legs.

"I don't know how you get up so early to play tennis," Kimberley Thornton muttered, handing her closest friend a towel and a bottle of water. "I'm still half asleep."

After swallowing a gulp of water, Jolene used the towel to swipe the sweat off her forehead. "You know I have to if I want to be the greatest tennis player in the world."

Kim rolled her eyes amused. "I know ─ you've been this ambitious since we were both seven."

"Okay, fine, whatever, let me get my uniform on and we'll get to class."