𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 - 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘫𝘰𝘩𝘯𝘯𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘵 𝘬𝘪𝘮 )

"𝗜 𝗖𝗔𝗡'𝗧 𝗕𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗘𝗩𝗘 𝗪𝗘'𝗥𝗘 𝗚𝗢𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗧𝗢 𝗔 𝗙𝗨𝗡𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗟 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗖𝗔𝗧."

Jolene Gilmore had been grumbling all the way over to Babette's house, obviously discontent with being pulled away from valuable training time. A red floral dress hugged her dark skin, wrapping her arms around herself against the autumn breeze as she had forgotten to take a jacket.

Rory, who was more appropriately dressed for the weather in her usual wide-leg jeans and denim jacket, poked her side with a pout. "Come on, their cat died. Have a bit of sympathy."

"Please," Jolene scoffed amused. "I saw you trying to hold your laugh as they rolled the body into the lamp." The blue-eyed girl pressed her lips together, proving Jolene right once again as she pushed the laughter down. "See? Deep down, you agree with me."

"It's still sad though." Rory argued.

"Sad for them, maybe." Jolene grumbled beneath her breath, causing her (technically) niece to gape increduously.

"Christ, Jo, a bit of compassio—" Rory stopped in her tracks with a mixture of shock and confusion that slowly melted into an amused grin as her gaze stopped in three specific individuals in the distance. "At least it looks like your friends have a bit more of compassion than you."

Confused, Jolene glanced at her before following Rory's line of vision, her lips parting in disbelief before rubbing her eyes tiredly. Leaving Rory behind, Jolene stalked over to an unassuming trio as her hands waved in the air manically. "What the f— what are you guys doing?"

Johnny, Kim and Nathalie turned around to face her, confused by her tone of voice. "What are you on abo— wait, why aren't you dressed in black?"

Her upper lip twitched in frustration as Jolene narrowed her dark eyes. "Because it's a wake for a cat."