Executive Approval

Wei Ying was waiting for Lan Zhan on the veranda. A small child half his size clung to his tunic, hiding behind Wei Ying, gazing at The Hero in awe. His strange blue-black eyes were round with excitement and a good measure of caution. He had never met any of the people in his Gege's stories before and had dreaded that the first one would be the evil Xue Yang.

Wei Ying pulled the child in front and said, "Kirin, May I introduce you to Lan Zhan? Lan Zhan, this is a little boy I found several weeks ago. His father had 'something to do 'and has never returned. I've been looking out for him. May he join us today? Say hello, Kirin."

"Ni Hao, Wangzi." Lan Zhan's lips quirked up in a smile and sat down in front of the little boy. "Hello, Kirin. 'Little Dark One is a good name for you. I am pleased to meet you. Do you take care of Wei Ying?"

"Oh yes, Wangzi. I make our beds. I draw pictures for him when he goes to find food. I rub his shoulders if they hurt when he works sweeping stores or chopping wood. I try and be happy, he says that is the best thing I can do for him. We hike in the woods near the bridge. We look at stars at night and he tells me lots of stories."

Lan Zhan hid his sadness from both. He could only imagine what things Wei Ying must be doing not only for his very survival but for the protection of the tiny boy in front of him. He looked up at his friend, who stared into the distance, ears red, eyes avoiding Lan Zhan's.

"The kid exaggerates. It's not so bad."

"He takes very good care of me, Wangz."

Lan Zhan spoke. This child was adorable. His imagination was vivid and colorful, so he decided to play along. He suddenly did not want this one to grow up too hard and too quickly. "I travel incognito. That means in secret. You must call me Lan Zhan when we are in public. Wangzi is too grand."

"Are you on a secret mission, Wang...Lan Zhan?"

"Very secret."

"Ooooooo!"

It was at this moment that the twice as impressive Lan XiChen rose from a chair and walked across the veranda. Dressed impeccably, tall at 11, almost as tall as a man, he towered over the three boys. His brown eyes were warm and welcoming. Kirin and Wei Ying's mouths dropped open.

The ever-talkative Kiran piped up. "Wow! Are you a Wangzi too?" Lan XiChen, who had heard every word that the three had said, grinned merrily. "Yes. But as Lan Zhan said, our mission is top secret, and you must call me Lan XiChen. You must not ever tell others that we are Princes. Understood?"

The child nodded somberly. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan looked at Lan XiChen in relief. He gave them a wink.

"You must be Wei Ying? My brother has told me nothing but good things about you. I am glad he has met a friend in Yiling."

"He saved my neck from some thugs yesterday. Fed me a meal and bought me a set of clothes. He is a very nice guy, Lan XiChen. And very brave."

"I have always thought so. He is very special to me. Thank you for seeing that and taking him under your wing as well. It is too lonely for him when my uncle and I are working. This reminds me, Uncle has several hours of work in his room this morning. He will not be down for quite a while. Lan Zhan, you have time to run that errand you wanted to do this morning. Why don't you hurry and do it now, the shop should be open. I will sit these two young men down here in the sun and fresh air and serve them some tea and steamed buns. When you get back, we will have breakfast."

Lan Zhan nodded gratefully at his brother and ran off while Lan XiChen sat with the other two. He liked them both immediately. Bright, irrepressible despite their recent hardships he could set why they tugged at his brother's kind heartstrings, the ones the world, in general, was never allowed to see. He decided rather quickly that he would help them in whatever way he could.

Within half an hour, Lan Zhan was back carrying a parcel that he laid down in front of Kirin. The surprised child just stared.

"Go on. Open it. It is yours."

With trembling fingers, Kirin open the package, and there sat a set of clothes similar to Wei Yings, only a very dark blue cotton to match the child's eyes. A pair of shoes. Undergarments and a matching ribbon for his hair. The little boy gazed at his Wangzi in adoration. He fell to the floor and bowed and Lan Zhan scooped him up. The boy hugged him around the neck.

Lan Zhan said, "You must never kowtow to me. Friends do not wish or demand that from friends. Okay?"

"Okay!"

Lan Zhan turned to look at Wei Ying, who had tears in those grey eyes of his. He spoke gently. "Take him around to the bathing shed and Kirin can change, would you mind?"

Wi Ying nodded, still unable to speak. Kirin picked up his gifts and followed. The Lan Zhan reached for a cup of much-needed tea. He sipped slowly, white tea with rose hips and jasmine blossoms. Light and lovely.

Lan XiChen patted his brother's shoulder. "I am so proud of you, Brother. They are very nice children. I think that this week will be a wonderful one for you. But also, keep your promise to Uncle and gather the information he needs. Yiling is central to our security. Many visit here, and we need to find out what is behind the disappearance of so many cultivators. It is becoming more disturbing and anything you glean could be valuable.'

"I will remember."

At that moment the others came back, Kirin radiant in his new clothes. "Look Wangz...Lan Zhan! Aren't they beautiful?"

"They are. It is a good color. Shoes fit?"

"Yes! And they have growing room!"

"Good. Feet get large quick."

"They must be happy. I think they are growing already!"

Lan XiChen laughed out loud. "So, what are you guys doing today while I will be stuck hanging around a bunch of old men? Do you have the time to take Lan Zhan to the market and buy stuff to play games with? We don't do too much of that in Cloud Recesses. He does have shuttlecocks with him because we use them in training, but he needs a lot more. I drew up a list so he can get them for you too if you need them. Will that work for you?"

Both boys said "Yes" in loud voices and Lan XiChen waited until they calmed down. "All right. Let's go in and eat."

As they followed them in, Kirin tugged Wei Ying's hand nervously. "I don't know what to do!"

"Neither did I yesterday. Do what I did. I watched Lan Zhan and copied every move he made. It all turned out okay!"

"Whew!" Said the little dark one in relief. "Just don't let me spill the tea on my new clothes! No way am I going to disappoint my Wangzi."

"Lan Zhan, brat!"

"Ohh yeah. Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan!"

And he muttered the name under his breath until he got to the table.