Little Lifelong Love

Wei Ying's palms were sweating. Lan Zhan had returned with Kirin, and the young child had listened solemnly as his Wangze patiently explained how important it was for him to hold the sheet of music, so he could refer to it during the dance. Of course, Lan Zhan had it committed to memory, but he thought the recollection of today would be even more special if Kirin had an active role to play. Kirin sat straight, his strange. dark blue eyes intense and excited.

It becomes a reality when Mian Mian emerges before the throng, looking lovely in her yellow dress. She is carrying a basket that holds a large stone slab. She takes it out as Lan Zhan plucks the first note of the old song. The crowd murmurs at the choice. Everyone has known it since childhood and instantly identifies with it. Mian Mian lays out a pillow of soft dough and begins to knead it.  

A dark head peeps around a corner and stepped out dressed in the red silk tunic, silver eyes merry and full of affection. She looks up and frowns a little, then goes back to work. He slowly tiptoes toward her and lays a bouquet of flowers down, white and gold field daisies and one rose in the center. She looks at them and flutters her hands at him, as if to say, 'Go away. I am busy here and have no time for nonsense.'

He stops a moment and then breaks into dance, arms behind him, making circles around the girl. Not enough?

He then begins to sway from side to side, soon breaking into strides that became faster and faster, as she continues to ignore him. He then starts twirling, the full skirt of the tunic swirling around him. he adds leaps at that point, spinning in the air, effortless as a bird, arms spread wide, pleading for her attention. Finally, exhausted, he lands in front of her, hands outstretched.

She looks at him in a mixture of regret and determination and shakes her head in refusal. She is young and not ready. She gathers her things and leaves the flowers there in front of the lone boy.

There is silence from the audience, and then they go wild.

But it is not over. As the boy holds his finger to his lips,  he bends to retrieve the flowers and stares at them for a moment. He turns to face the throng and gives an incandescent smile, then walks to the girls and women in the front. He then begins to hand out the daisies, one to each female admirer, until he arrives at the red rose. He stops at the bent figure of an old woman in the very front, kisses the rose, and hands it to her. 

"My Lifelong Love. Now that we are older, and our hair is white as snow, will you finally dance with me?" He kisses the wrinkled cheek and leads her to the center of the stage and begins to dance with great reverence, holding the fragile elderly woman in his arms as Lan Zhan plays and tears fall on his hands while he strokes Wangji.

The crowd cheers madly as Wei Ying finishes and leads the lady back to her seat. Glowing .she pats his youthful cheek, and he returns to accept the cheers with humble and grateful bows.

Lan Zhan sat motionless as Kirin ran to embrace his Gege. Nobody was surprised when the winner was announced and it was Wei Ying. He was given a fat purse of coin and a long blue ribbon that immediately joined the red one in his hair. 

When he looked for Lan Zhan, he was nowhere to be seen.

********************

"What? That is Uncle's solution? The Jiangs in Lotus Grove for Wei Ying?"

Lan XiChen saw how distressed he was and tried to placate his younger brother. He had never seen Lan Zhan so angry.

"Sect Leader Jiang has been searching for Wei Ying for several years now. He was particular friends with his parents and strongly desires to raise him within his sect. At least Kirin will stay at Cloud Recesses. The family he has chosen for him has not been blessed with children, and they immediately agreed to adopt him.'

"No. I will not have it."

"He has gone to great lengths. Many butterflies messengered back and forth over the last few days. And Jiang Fenemian has already left and will be here by sword tomorrow."Why are you so distressed? You wanted them to find homes, safety, to be off the streets."

Lan Zhan turned and stared into his brother's eyes. his own as cold as ice. "Uncle only wants perfection. He cares nothing for our happiness. It is all his quest for 2 jade statues with no flaws. He cares not about my feelings. We are to be his monument to 3000 rules, are we not?"

"Lan Zhan..."

"He could not even allow Kirin in our own household." He laughed bitterly. " Of course not. Friends would just slow down my cultivation. So unnecessary for the fast track to perfection."

"Lan XiChen?"  Wei Ying's voice spoke softly.  The brothers turned around to see him standing there with Kirin gripping the red silk tunic tightly in his little fists. "Kirin and I wish to thank you and your Uncle for this opportunity. Of course, we will go into the homes you have found for us. It is a debt we will never be able to repay." He smiled widely, but tears stood out in the sunlight.

He touched Lan Zhan's arm.

"Really, Lan Zhan, think about it. The Jiang Clan!  What an honor! And I will be much happier knowing that Kirin will grow up where you are! And we will see one another occasionally, I am sure."

Lan XiChen bowed. "Thank you, Wei Ying. I know this is breaking your hearts. I really tried my best, but Uncle was obdurate about this."

Lan Zhan spoke sharply. 'If you will excuse us, Brother, we have other competitions to enter, and I must go gather more information for Lan Sect Master. One must do his duty."

Lan XiChen gave the three a weak smile. "Wei Ying, I watched your performance from the stands. It was beautiful. Congratulations." 

Wei Ying looked down at the purse in his hand, as if he had quite forgotten it. "Oh, thank you, Lan XiChen. I have never won a contest in my life. Today was a first for me."

Lan Zhan turned away, his golden eyes suddenly empty and tears on his cheek The child, usually so stoic, crumpled to the cobblestones and buried his face in his hands

"All I wanted was two friends by my side, and he could not even grant me that. I am nothing but a trophy for him to display."