Skill Sets

The boys quickly found out that Kirin was extremely adept at Ts'u-chu. He selected one out of the three new balls and began breaking it in until he felt comfortable with the supple feel of the feather-filled leather bag as it bounced effortlessly between his small, clever feet, The older boys cheered him on each time he out-maneuvered them and slammed the ball into the net further down the field. Small but swift he threaded his way past them effortlessly, laughing in joy as he made each goal. His giggles were infectious and Wei Ying had tears rolling down his face while Lan Zhan was laughing quietly along.

Next, Lan Zhan sharpened his kite moves.,paying special attention to soar high, then catching the right current to dive like an arrow straight down at any angle he selected. Wei Ying skillfully painted the kite string in glue, then carefully sprinkled the sharp-edge quartz-powder fragments over it, inch by inch. It hung from the lowest boughs of trees until it dried and was carefully coiled in the bottom of a basket to await the competition in three days.

Wei Ying practiced his fan dancing and dazzled the others who watched in awe at his performance, his silver eyes gleamed above the top of the new crimson fan. He also mastered the hoop race in no time. He was fleet and perfectly balanced, able to keep perfect track of the stick in his right hand as it touched the barrel hoop while guiding it precisely down the path ahead.

Marbles were practiced with Lan Zhan always moving the small clay balls easily out of the bowl and onto the tray. His zither practice had made his dexterity sure and swift.

They had three days before the festival to play impromptu games in the streets and assess their competitors, and perhaps be able to join up with other teams. In the meantime, Lan Zhan would be listening to the conversation of adults for Uncle and Lan XiChen.

They paused and ate rice balls mixed with tenderly sauteed spring onions and containers of wonton soup, that had thoughtfully been provided by Lan XiChen and left for them in Lan Zhan's room. They rested a bit as Kirin took a nap.

"Lan Zhan?"

"Mn?"

"Are you happy at Cloud Recesses?" Wei Ying's voice was soft and hesitant.

Lan Zhan opened his eyes and looked at his friend in surprise.

"Why does Wei Ying wish to know?"

"Because one day you will be going back and we will remain here. I worry about you. You did not seem very happy when we first met."

"Mn. Happy there? It does not matter. It is home. I have much to do. Brother is there. We love each other. I find ways ...to be...content."

But you are not happy?"

"Some are born to smile, deserve happiness. I was born...to be within myself, I think. I was born to work, excel, and bring pride to my Sect. All else is unimportant."

"I don't think Lan XiChen feels that way. I think he wants more for you."

"Lan XiChen was born to be Sect Leader. He wants the best for us all."

"He looks at you with sadness at times. He worries."

"There is no need. I am content."

Lan Zhan continued. "Wei Ying, I am not easy with friendships. Was not until now. I will enjoy this time here. I wish every moment here to be happy. Exciting. It will be enough to live on.'

"Okay, if you say so! Let's do it! In the meantime, I think Kirin has a good idea. Naptime, all right?"

The two lay down and Wei Ying turned away so Lan Zhan would not see the silent tears fall. There was much he wanted to do for his lonely friend, but he knew that would not be in his future. It was a hard reality to face, him being a natural fixer of everyone's sorrows. His heart ached for someone without much comfort around him, especially when he deserved all the comfort the world could offer. But what could sad children do? The world of adults barely saw children at all. And the needy ones even less. Once Lan Zhan rode away from this sorry town, he would not see him again, and even Wei Ying would be useless to help him at that point. The thought was unbearable.

Lan Zhan could feel his friend's sorrow. Knowing that, when Uncle gave his command to move on, there would be no more Wei Ying and Kirin in his life. That they would be alone and unprotected was unbearable to him. He had already laid aside the rest of the money in the pouch his brother had given him and had added his own budget to it. That would sustain them awhile, but not for more than a few months. He had to find a permanent place for them, and he knew his uncle would balk at two street urchins following along. He needed a talk with Lan XiChen. And he was determined to have his way. He drifted off, planning and praying.

After the nap, they headed for the marketplace, Lan Zhan to a steadying breath. He was about to become someone he was not, He needed to become things so foreign to himself that he had no idea of what to do first. He needed to be approachable. Jocular. Not like a doctor peering through a magnifying lens.

He felt Wei Ying elbow his ribs. "First, don't look scared. Second, follow my lead."

Wei Ying smiled a charming smile and walked over to a small knot of boys and shouted, "Hey, fellas got room for us?"

The eldest boy looked up from the marble game in surprise. "Wei Ying? What happened to you? You fall in a creek somewhere?"

"Nope! A real bath!"

"Where did you steal those clothes?"

Wei Ying could sense tension building in Lan Zhan and gave a warning glance. "Hell no! Remember I told you all I had family looking for me? Well, they did. Yesterday. This is my cousin Wei Zha...Zhe and my kid cousin, Wei Kirin. They are taking me home in a couple of days. Gonna stay for the Kite Competition and the other Games. Then I am leaving this backwater place for bigger things. Hey, Wei Zhe, come on over and meet my old buddy, Gong Fu Lin."

Lan Zhan stood for a moment as Wei Ying held his breath. Right now, it was all or nothing. He snapped out of it and held out his hand, plastering a smile as dazzling aa Wei Ying's on his face. It was so wide it hurt his cheeks.

"Hello! What are you guys playing here?" And he plopped right down in the dirt, pulled out his bag of marbles from his sleeve, and shook some into his palm.

"What are the stakes?"