Games

Lan Zhan excused himself after he finished his tea and morning porridge. Wei Ying had watched in horrified fascination as his new friend had eaten every boring and bland bite. He quickly ordered another bottle of chili sauce so he could wipe out the vision of that perfectly white, tasteless mass being eaten, apparently without complaint. Was that a flaw he detected in his hero? If so, it was minor and kind of cute. He watched the retreating back and was observed in turn, very closely, by Lan XiChen.

The older Lan smiled to himself. If he was not mistaken, he was watching the beginnings of a mutual boy crush. Not such a bad thing. It had been a long time since his Didi had shown any attachment to anyone, (except his Gege), after their mother's death, and his soul diviation afterward. Always aloof, cool, and rigidly under control, Lan Zhan was a miniature adult, something no child must become to survive. He should know since he had become one himself during that time. It was not an easy task, being brother/father/mother to one not much younger than himself and equally as damaged. He welcomed seeing this rush of interest and animation, this sudden and intense desire for companionship.

He spoke softly to Wei Ying. "My brother has little experience with friendship. May I trust that he will have fun with you while we are here? He ...has had a bad time since our mother passed away. For a while I thought his grief would kill him."

Wei Ying's soft grey eyes welled up, thinking of the pain his new friend had gone through, reflecting on his own sad past and being honored by the trust handed to him by Lan XiChen. He nodded slowly. "He is my friend and a benefactor to me and Kirin. I will watch out for him."

He broke off as Lan Zhan reappeared, looking apprehensive. He had changed into a tunic Lan XiChen had never seen, let alone imagined before. A rich, dark green tunic made from the same heavy cotton as the outfits he had purchased for Wei Ying and Xiao Kirin. Their mouths dropped open and Lan Zhan's ears flushed a dark red. "I needed to blend in. Do I look odd?"

Lan XiChen spoke swiftly. "Not at all!" He noticed the unadorned shoes and the long dark hair, no longer embellished with his headpiece, now braided plainly down his back.

"Wow!" exclaimed Wei Ying. "You look different but really good. That green is fantastic."

"Too much?"

"You should try color more often. You look really...handsome."

Kirin looked a little sad. "Does this mean you aren't a prince anymore?" His bottom lip quivered.

Lan Zhan scooped him up and sat him on his knee. "Of course! I am your prince, but nobody must know! It is a secret, and this is my disguise. Kirin must remember that. You protect me this way."

"I will always protect my prince. Pinky swear."

Pinky swear...pinky swear...At the words, the box named Denver rattled at the back of Lan Zhan's mind and he looked at the boy in a small daze as he held out his hand and without thinking, linked his pinky finger with Kirin's tiny digit and touched thumbs. It felt familiar and comforting. Natural. The child smiled brightly at him.

Lan XiChen watched the exchange with curiosity. He had never seen his brother this at ease with any other children. No matter what else came to pass, he was thrilled at this new side of im.

"All right. Lan Zhan, you have your list and your money?"

Yes, Lan XiChen."

"Good. Go over the list and have Wei Ying advise you on what to purchase. Three sets of each item. You boys make sure you eat well as you practice and teach the games to Lan Zhan. He is a quick learner and an excellent competitor."

"Yes, Lan XiChen!" promised the boys. He smiled and then turned to his brother.

"You know what you must do. And let others win too. If you win at everything, they will not wish to play tomorrow. Understood?"

"Yes, Brother."

"Good. Now off with you and do not come home until at least 3:00 in the afternoon."

Cheering, they took off down the dusty street, heading for the market and the stalls that were just beginning to open.

The first stop was for marbles, bowls, and chopsticks. The vendor had shelves lined with small baskets, filled to the brim with colorful spheres made from clay. Wei Yinggrinned at Lan Zhan's reaction. He moved slowly from basket to basket, his tapered fingers picking each color and design up, Some were [lain, others had designs and figures on them. The more intricate the artwork, the more expensive, but money seemed to be no problem. The young Lan lingered longest over the shelf where each figure was a white bunny, painted on a different colored background.

"Lan Zhan! Do you like bunnies?"

Lan Zhan's ears colored and he nodded slightly.

"So do I! Do you have any?"

Lan Zhan nodded. "AT home. Secret from uncle. Pets are not allowed in Cloud Recesses. Brother helps me hide them."

Wei Ying was astonished, saddened, and a little angry. Not even a pet to make him feel better after his mother died. He decided that Cloud Recesses would be a strange and boring place, and he also decided he did not like this uncle of the Lan Brothers. Nope, not one little bit.

They each filled leather pouches with twenty marbles that went carefully within and they slipped them into their sling bags along with three painted bowls and three sets of chopsticks. The shopkeeper also had fans which Wei Ying gravitated toward.

"Sometimes the other boys use them to show off. Ever danced with them? I once had one and made pretty good money from villagers when I danced next to the tavern. Then I lost it."

Kirin piped up. "No, you did not! That evil Xue Yang broke it one day."

"Well, it was an old one."

"It was pretty and it had been your mother's Gege!

Lan Zhan saw his friend smother a grimace of remembered pain. "Does not matter. Didi. Haven't I taught you that things and people come and go? It is the memories in the heart that live on?"

Lan Zhan walked over, took the red and crimson fan from the yearning fingers, and added it to the bag. "Wei Ying now has another. No arguments."

Their fingers brushed against one another as Wei Ying's eyes turned silver with a film of tears.

He gazed at the straight, retreating back and they followed behind as Lan Zhan walked slowly through the gathering shoppers along the dusty street. This was a moment he would treasure with all the other ones that could never be stolen from him.