Pretty Flying Things

The final stop was a stand that took their breath away. Lan Zhan had never seen such an amazing display of color and artistry applied to simple toys, in his life.

Kites. Everywhere you looked, your eyes were dazzled by intricate and brightly colored kites strong all the way across the street. Long elegant tails for balance picked up primary colors from all of them, and the designs were simply marvelous. Everything from classical gods to mythological creatures to cute little animals, for the younger children. Eagles, Dragons, Suns and stars, and fireworks were all painted in the brightest hues one could imagine. The choices seem to be almost too much for the three children who stood below, gawking and in awe.

The choice seemed very simple for Kiran, who migrated instantly to a small kite with a tiny white Bunny painted against a sea of green grass. Wei Ying was mesmerized by a crimson dragon that shot bright red yellow and white flames across the surface of the kite. The flames carried down to the ties that flowed in the gentle breeze.

Lan Zhan, however, took his time. He walked slowly underneath the aerial display, gazing upwards, searching for something special. Finally, he settled underneath an unusual kite. It was painted a deep blue and a full moon was rising over the white peaks of mountains. And straight through the center from the top peak to the bottom point was a blazing white sword that seemed to glow against the night sky. The long tails were made from iridescent pale silk, some white and some blue. He pointed to this work of art.

"The young master has excellent taste, but this kite is extremely expensive. My best artist designed it and used only the finest silks and paints when he crafted it. Are you sure you can afford this piece?"

"This kite belongs to me. We will purchase all three of these."

Wei Ying interrupted. "We will also need your most lightweight, strongest string, two pair of long, leather gloves that reach the elbows, glue, and a large jar of powdered quartz."

Lan Zhan arched an eyebrow, and Wei Yinging winked. "Trust me."

As the three boys lugged their booty back to the hotel and carried it up to Lan Zhan's room, Wei Ying begin to explain the final purchases.

"There is going to be a kite festival and competition in a few days, Lan Zhan. Everybody who is everybody will be there in this town. It's going be a great place to pick up gossip. Part of the competition will be a battle. The strings of the kite are the competitor's weapons. And we're going to have to pair prepare very carefully. Have you ever flown a kite before?"

Lan Zhan smiled grimly. "Part of our battle training is with kites. We have all learned to fly them because it is a quick and simple way of communicating to one another as one prepares for bloodshed or is in the heat of a fight."

"They trained kids to do that?!"

"As I mentioned before, we start learning battle techniques at an early age in Cloud Recesses."

"Sounds like a tough place to grow up."

"At times. But we hold a high position among the Sects and life is dedicated to it."

Wei Ying looked at his companion in respect and amazement. "I have never met anyone like you." Lan Zhan's ear grew pink in embarrassment.

"Look at your ears! They are pink!, Nope, now they are bright red." His light, cheery voice did nothing to help the situation, either! Wei Ying decided to cut him a break and changed the subject.

"There's one thing you should know Lan Zhan. Xue Yang excels at this kind of battle and he is ruthless. He seems to get a real thrill out of injuring his opponents. It doesn't just do to cut the kite string. He tries to cut other people and several people have become maimed and scarred by his ruthless tactics."

Kirin piped up. "He hurt Wei Ying one time, Lan Zhan."

Lan Zhanon whirled, his face terrifying. "Show me, now."

"Lan Zhan, it's healed. It's nothing anymore, really." He shot a look of disapproval to the younger boy, who looked a little dejected.

"I said, show me." Wei Ying did not dare to disobey and rolled up his sleeve. He revealed a long thin scar that gleamed against his tanned skin and wrapped from the elbow to the wrist in a spiral along the forearm.

"This is not 'nothing', Wei Ying! This was a deliberate attempt to injure you!" His face grew dark in anger. "A lesson needs to be taught to Xue Yang. If he tries anything like this with me, he will regret it."

"Shh, Lan Zhan! You are scaring Kirin!" He gestured to the small child, who looked nothing like 'scared'! His tiny face was screaming hero worship. Wei Ying was not going to find an ally there.

Lan Zhan, however, obeyed and instantly reeled himself in.

"I am sorry. But I cannot abide bullies and he will not bully either of you while I am here. I will not allow it."

"Okay. But don't worry, I can take care of myself."

That remark earned a side glance and a doubtful, "Mn", from his companion which Wei Ying wisely ignored. He rather liked having someone to rely on for once. After the disappearance of his parents and the sudden acquisition of Kirin, life had become exhausting for a kid his age. Someone willing to shoulder part of the burden was a godsend for him and he felt like he could breathe again. He was tired of looking over his shoulders, wracking his brain about where the next meal was coming from and whether it would even be edible. He could not help himself. He threw his arms around the taller boy and hugged him, suddenly choking back tears. Then he drew back abruptly.

"Thanks, Lan Zhan. I was kinda getting desperate before you showed up. You have been too good to us."

Lan Zhan cleared his throat, suddenly overwhelmed. "Not good enough. You are my first friends. I have never had friends before." He hushed the faint rattle from the locked box in the back of his mind and smiled at Wei Ying.
6
"Let's find a field and practice kites. Head for the market later. I need to begin the work for Uncle this afternoon."