-Chapter I-

The sky was dark and the air was cold, lights flashing all around as men yelled and shots from guns were fired.

     As Evelyn was being ushered away by guards she turned her head back to see people stumbling towards them oddly, limbs in inhumane positions and growls that no person could make. The guard turned her head back forward as she hobbled to the entrance of the large building.

     She lifted her arm above her eyes as light shone on her face. Once she was inside the garage-like building, she turned again waiting for Minho and Thomas who were behind her and once she saw they were close she let out a breath.

     Now with everyone inside, the group was led to a dark room and pushed inside having the door locked behind them.

     "Hey, hey, hey! Let us out!" Thomas yelled banging his fist against the door just before the lights turned on. He slowly turned around to find everyone staring at something, frozen in place. He walked up to the front to see a table full of food.

     "Dibs on the rice." Frypan said slyly as he ran for it, everyone else quickly in tow.

     They all gathered around the table and started eating like literal pigs. Most of them haven't had a meal like this in over a year and to have one just laid in front of them made them a little excited.

     "This is way better than Frypans slob." Winston joked as everyone else laughed along with him.

     "Here's your rice Fry." Evelyn stated grabbing a handful and throwing it at his face, the boys eyes widening.

     "The rice!" He yelled as if it was a tragic loss. It quickly turned into a massive food fight leaving a huge mess on the table but none of them having a care in the world.

•|•|•

     After their meal they all sat around the room on various tables and sacks waiting for someone to come back.

     Evelyn winced as she placed her hand on her now wrapped up thigh, a guard noticing it while on the helicopter and helping her stop the bleeding. Though it wasn't bleeding too much anymore really at all, it still stung and ached when she moved it.

     A creaking was heard from the door that they came in from, everyone standing up and slowly approaching the door. Evelyn grabbed Minhos shoulder again to use for balance as the door opened to reveal a guard.

     A man stepped into view with a smirk on his face. "You kids doing all right?"

     The group shared a few looks before the man continued. "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

     "Who are you?" Thomas asked looking at the guy with furrowed brows.

     "I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me we'll get you kids squared away." He said backing away from the door before starting down a hallway with the kids right behind.

     "You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us it is a sanctuary safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves." He said pointing up to a light that had sparks of fire dropping down.

     "That mean you're taking us home?" Thomas asked.

     Janson turned to look at Thomas with the same smirk as before that made Evelyn feel suspicious of him. "A home of sorts. Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge outside of the Scorch where WICKED will never find you again. How does that sound?"