Chapter 2

A/N: hope you enjoy <3

Though Ivan allowed his wife and their guards to remain in the throne room, Rowan felt like they were the only two in the room. Ivan's domineering presence overshadowed the others easily.

"Yes, my lord," Rowan addressed him, lowering his head in respect with a hand against his chest.

"How is Julien's progress in his abilities going?"

Rowan glanced up at Ivan; it hadn't been a question he expected. "A steady pace. He remains an average skill in each, though his coercion skills are improving."

"Good. Anything else to note?"

"No, he is still the same sex-crazed individual as before. Feeds quite often most nights, but not as bloodthirsty as before; his control is improving."

Improving may not have been the best term, but it was true compared to the last time Ivan had asked him. It had been a couple of years since Julien had completely drained a human dry.

Ivan smiled. "I sure hope he's mellowed out for your sake."

"Only slightly."

Ivan let out a guttural laugh. "To think the stoic youngster I hired decades ago had a sense of humor after all."

Rowan lowered his head. "My apologies; I misspoke."

"Nonsense, it is quite refreshing," the lord said, his hand brushing Valentine's arm. "Isn't it, love?"

"Indeed." She smiled. "I do believe my son's rubbing off on you. In the best way."

Rowan didn't need to confirm or deny it; he knew Julian's teasing had tested Rowan's patience more times than he could count, eliciting the quick-witted responses he typically buried away. He hadn't meant to do so in front of the Rosenthal leaders, but it seemed to slip from his mouth whenever Julien was mentioned or involved.

"And you?" Ivan prompted. "Training as usual?"

The guards of the castle were expected to train and practice their skills regularly. Only the finest and well-maintained vampires were allowed to remain as castle guards, even more so for the fletching's bodyguards. Though they were trained with the same rigor, Rowan and Jean needed to be prepared for anything in case something happened to the two youngest.

"Jean and I continue to spar every day, twice a day, three times a week." It was a rough routine Rowan had to get used to in the beginning, but he had found joy in training that he'd go to the training grounds whenever Julien got on his nerves and needed a break. Other days, he'd see himself going there just because he couldn't sleep. He had come a long way from when he first arrived at the Rosenthal's estate, barely able to hold a practice sword. Though Rowan's accuracy with daggers was impeccable, Jean and he were even matched with sword fighting these days. "We spar with the young princes and prince Alexander from time to time."

Ivan nodded in acknowledgment. "Excellent. Though I do hope their progress grows with the threat of the Coalition upon us. Though they should be safe amongst the castle, it is a threat I do not take lightly after what has befallen us in the past."

Valentine visibly shrunk in her seat; Ivan's hand squeezed her wrist in comfort. Rowan had never met their second child, Owain, who had died horrifically before Rowan was even born. Though it hadn't been the Coalition—as they had only been formed a couple of decades ago—the humans behind Owain's death were motivated by the same motto as the Coalition: eradicate the vampires.

The Rosenthal clan had been terribly affected by Owain's death, their oldest children, especially Mikhail and Laurent, still grieving the loss of a beloved brother.