Chapter 8

A/N: I struggled to write this for some reason, but the plot should pick up in the next chapter. Enjoy <3

While Julien didn't appreciate how intense the man with a buzzcut was being, it was a good distraction from the events from earlier. He couldn't remember the man's name, nor the one he just fed from, effectively nicknaming him Manbun, who was slowly returning to his senses. The blood loss made him weak, and he acted like a drunk person, but it was evident that he was willing to continue in whatever fun Julien and Buzzcut were having.

That is until Manbun spotted the brooding guard over by the ottoman. It was like being fed from never happened, a sudden burst of newfound energy as he ogled Rowan.

Julien understood Manbun's obsession loud and clear. Rowan was an attractive vampire, even more attractive as his contemplative look grew on his face. The narrowed eyes, clenched jaw, and the way his arms crossed to showcase his toned arms made it impossible to resist admiring. All that training Rowan insisted on doing really did pay off, so much that even the company of the two men in his bed wasn't enough of a distraction. He found himself staring at Rowan more and more as the night progressed.

It had never been like this with any of his hundreds of previous guards, even those who had shown interest in joining Julien in bed.

While Julien would've loved for Rowan to join in the fun, Julien was sure Rowan would rather skip training than ever partake in such activities. He had teased Rowan a couple of times during the first few years of being guarded by Rowan, but it was clear Rowan showed no interest.

But watching people drape themselves over him and expect the same troubled Julien more than he could understand. From the lady at the Blue Vein to the many partners Julien invited over who seemed to fancy Rowan more, it was getting on Julien's nerves more recently.

He knew inherently why it did, but that didn't stop the frustration and confusion.

Jealousy was a cruel beast, one that Julien knew shouldn't even exist in their situation. Rowan was free to date, sleep, or be with anyone if he so desired, just as Julien did the same.

Maybe it was the mere idea that Julien could manage to get anyone he so desired, everyone except Rowan, who'd insist it'd go against his job as a guard, not that it wasn't allowed. Guards or other staff weren't prohibited from sleeping with the Rosenthal family—certainly, his older siblings slept around with their personal attendants in the centuries they've lived. Julien even speculated that Felix and Jean had slept with each other at some point, though neither of them would admit it.

Or, it was likely that even if Rowan did show any sliver of attraction, romantic or not, to anyone, it wouldn't be Julien. That thought hurt more as he watched Manbun stumble toward his guard, hands gripping the front of Rowan's shirt as he lost balance.

Rowan showed little interest, glancing between him and Buzzcut, who had long tired himself out and resorted to pressing bruising kisses along the back of Julien's neck. Julien ignored it, watching intently as Manbun extended his neck to Rowan.

As expected, his guard merely stiffened, barely batting an eye at the mortal in front of him. Frustration grew and festered in Julien's chest, despite Rowan being more relaxed than he was at the Blue Vein with the mortal woman. Rowan hadn't asked for Manbun to approach him, nor did he want to participate. But what was more frustrating was that Rowan wasn't saying anything, completely complacent in this human's advances when it must've been uncomfortable.

When Manbun wrapped his arm around Rowan's waist, brushing the edge of his shirt, Julien had seen enough.

"Don't be such an Owain," Julien said sternly, effectively startling Manbun. Despite the man's blood loss from earlier feeding, Julien was surprised the safe word—ironically, his dead brother's name—had gotten through to him on the first try. Most times, his guests would need it repeated at least twice to come to their senses and stop whatever it was Julien didn't like.