Chapter 7

A/N: Enjoy <3

Rowan's eyes trailed to the hand on the blade's hilt, trailing into the shadows of the ornamental columns that lined the hall. He quickly recognized that blade and its owner's distinct grip without seeing the person's face.

"Prince Solomon," Rowan greeted with the cold blade pressed next to his Adam's apple.

"Answer me." Solomon emerged from the shadows, and the permanent scowl he wore deepened. "You work for them, don't you?"

"I work for your family," Rowan said, remaining as still as possible; it was likely that the prince had no interest in the conversation and merely wanted to slit his throat regardless.

Solomon's eyes darkened as if attempting to nitpick the slightest indication that would indicate that Rowan had ill intentions for the Rosenthal clan. "Among others?"

"I'm neither mortal nor a dhampir," Rowan stated dryly. "Why would I seek to tear down the clan that offered me a home and a job?"

Solomon let out an incredulous huff before stepping away from Rowan, retracting his blade from Rowan's neck.

"Don't you get it?" Solomon seethed. While he swung his blade wildly as he spoke, Rowan's shoulders relaxed now that Rowan's neck would be spared. "The perfect candidate! Someone with no ties, a clean, perfect record, and good standings with my father. The least suspicious out of all the guards to bring down the Rosenthals."

Rowan blinked. "And wouldn't I have attempted this by now? Why wait over twenty-five years to enact this so-called scheme?"

Solomon groaned. "You don't get it. You're a nobody! Someone who shows up to the estate without a formal background check gets to work and live here like any other person. And I wouldn't be surprised that wherever the fuck you came from put you on this mission to infiltrate my family and wreak havoc. Plans like that take years to execute, and I'd bet everything I own that this is somehow tied to you."

Though Rowan knew it was better to bite his tongue and let Solomon say what he would, Julien's sass was rubbing off on him. "What makes you believe that?"

The prince held up his hand, counting off with his fingers. "First, you've stubbornly stuck by the worst of my siblings, and for what? It's not like you two are sleeping with each other. Second, it seems my father has shown some favoritism over you as of late, including asking to speak with you privately. That doesn't sound right. And third, you took Julien to the bar where Coalition members ambushed you."

Rowan tilted his head. "I didn't inform you about the attack."

Solomon blinked. "People talk. Besides, this isn't the first time you've jeopardized the safety of one of my siblings. Don't think I forgot about what happened to the twins."

It had been an unfortunate accident, yet it had been impeccable timing on Rowan's part thirty years ago, accidentally thwarting a rogue dhampir's attack on the twins on a popular trade route in their territory. Due to Rowan's knife skills, Alexandria and Alexander escaped the ambush with only a torn ligament and minor scratches. While Rowan didn't think much of why he had helped, it had been why Rowan found Ivan's favor in employment.

Solomon, evidently, didn't share the same gratuitous sentiment.

Rowan couldn't help but mutter, "you've never seemed to care about the youngest princes before."

"Half-siblings," Solomon sneered. "That has little idea of what it means to be a Rosenthal."

"Still Rosenthals," Rowan said. "Still your family."

Solomon lunged forward with his knife wielded. But just as Rowan sidestepped the attack, the head of the Rosenthals emerged behind them, seemingly out of thin air. Another one of the high-ranking vampire's sets of skills.