Chapter 3

A/N: enjoy <3

"Again," Rowan demanded, sweat dripping down his chest and back. He raised the practice blade against Jean's blade. Both guards preferred a shorter blade, but practicing with a longer and heavier weapon was excellent for dexterity and agility.

Felix and Julien were not amused at their impromptu training session, evident by the glares they sent the guards from the bench on the sidelines. Felix had participated, though, sparring with Jean a couple of rounds before settling on gossiping with Julien, who refused to participate.

Jean was worst for wear, welts forming along his arm and exposed side from a few failed feints. He bumped Rowan's blade aside, holding a hand in surrender as he caught his breath. "I'll pass. Next time."

Rowan frowned but lowered his sword. He wouldn't have minded spending another few rounds, but it wouldn't have benefitted the princes to waste all of their energy, especially when Rowan hadn't fed in nearly a week. Though he'd be sated with a blood bag twice a month, the threat of the Coalition made him reconsider his feeding schedule.

Most mature vampires only needed to fully feed once or twice a month from a human to survive, but for Rowan, feeding from blood bags meant frequent drinks. He'd at least need one or two bags a week to stay in top condition if an attack on the Rosenthal manor was to occur.

His fangs dared to peek through his gums as he thought of the blood bags back in Julien's room. All of which were B+ blood, the only blood Rowan enjoyed the taste of—Julien never understood Rowan's pickiness, but it meant more B+ blood for Rowan.

"We'll train tomorrow," Rowan told Jean. "The princes should practice as well."

Julien waved his hand as if to swat the idea from the air. While Felix didn't look thrilled at the idea either, he agreed.

"I want to hit up Blue Vein," Julien announced as the guards placed the practice swords away. "Find a hot human while I'm there to feed."

The Blue Vein was a popular club catered to anyone from vampires to dhampirs to wolves and humans alike. It was notorious for its private rooms for feeding and sex—right up Julien's alley. Rowan hated the place, though he'd hate to admit they served excellent beverages.

"Going to the Blue Vein is exactly what we should be avoiding," Rowan said.

Julien crossed his arms. "Yes, but that's what the Coalition is expecting. Keeping us locked up in the manor with our guard up. At least if we go out—it doesn't matter what club, I suppose—we could gain intel on them. Surely some vampire or dhampir has heard something about the Coalition's activity."

Jean raised a brow before nudging Rowan's side. "He does have a point."

Rowan scowled. "There's also a chance the Coalition will be there to get intel on us."

Felix stepped in line with Jean. "Then again, it's a pretty inclusive club; most of the mortals there seek us out to be fed from. I doubt humans in the Coalition would be willing to have hungry vampires and dhampirs bearing down their necks. They'd probably hit up other clubs first."

"This is why you're my favorite sibling," Julien said with a smirk. "Let's go."

"I'd advise against this," Rowan insisted, but Julien had wrapped his arms around the other two's shoulders.

Julien glanced over his shoulder to look at his guard. "I'll even buy you a drink."

"I shouldn't. I'm working."

"You're always working," Julien said dryly, letting go of the younger prince and reaching for his guard. "Just one drink."

Jean spared Rowan a glance. "We'll be there if anything happens; it should be fine."