Chapter 12

Much to Julien's dismay, Rowan's guarded mask crashed between them. He had hoped that Rowan's willingness to share his past—despite how cryptic—would spark a new step in their guard and prince relationship.

It was too much to ask for, Julien realized, as Rowan was more than eager to get out of his quarters and resume his duties like their conversation had never happened. It annoyed Julien to no end.

Three days had passed before Rowan initiated any conversation since then, and it had nothing to do with his past at all.

"We're to visit the blood bank in the inner city," he announced in the morning while handing Julien's partner for the night to another guard. The guard bowed as best he could, holding the half-drowsy man around his shoulder before closing the door behind him. Rowan continued, "Lord Ivan would like us to investigate the business and the rise of human protests."

Julien considered his next words carefully. "I'm surprised you didn't argue it was a terrible idea, especially if he'd like me to go."

"I'm not in a position to argue with the lord," Rowan quipped. Julien almost grinned at the sarcastic response; that was progress.

"You argue with me," Julien said. "And I'm a prince."

Rowan tilted his head. "Who makes irrational decisions and requires an older bodyguard."

Julien scoffed. "Age is but a number. Besides, as far as coercion goes, I could out best you in my sleep."

"You wouldn't attempt to coerce me."

"I wouldn't," Julien reassured. "It would be weird, and I doubt it would work. You could probably physically break out of one easily."

Rowan didn't respond to that, instead saying, "While I dislike this idea, multiple guards will be with us, and there appear to be multiple security and safety measures at the premises."

"Oh, fun," Julien said. "More babysitters. You'll be happy."

Rowan tilted his head toward Julien's closet with his signature stoic look. "Get dressed."

Julien let out a fake gasp of shock. "Ordering a prince around, how brash."

Rowan ignored him as usual, leaving Julien to get ready.

---

The journey into the city was less than ideal; conversation was dull between them, regardless of Julien's many prompts and teasing. The most emotion he got of Rowan was a simple huff.

Julien would have to take the small victory. It wasn't long before the two and accompanying guards to see the commotion and concern for visiting the blood bank; a massive crowd was gathering in the plaza and streets.

Not far from the expansive neoclassical-clad building, Julien could see the source of the animosity and negativity upon entering the city. With how loud the human protestors were, Julien wondered if it was even worth heading into that, for it couldn't be good for his heightened hearing. But Rowan kept walking, guiding them to their destination without concern for his hearing. The few Rosenthal guards fell into a steady pace behind them.

"That blood should be ours!" One individual cried from behind the line of guards leading to the entrance of the Capillary. Another shouted, "Bloody thieves!"

Julien glanced at them from the corner of his eyes before leaning toward Rowan. "You'd think they'd better educate themselves on how our blood bank works."

While it was true that most of the blood donated to blood banks owned by the Rosenthals was sold to wealthy vampires and dhampirs in the city, a good portion of it was also sold to hospitals and small businesses that looked into cures and treatments for diseases; treatments that often benefited humans.