XX - Reginald Returns

"So, how is it that we're still here, but the whole of the universe is going down the cosmic shitter?" Allison asked. The group of individuals, who were ecstatic no more than ten minutes ago, were now gathered in the lobby of Hotel Obsidian, each and every one of them feeling deflated.

"Maybe we're the last to get flushed." Viktor shrugged his shoulders.

Allison audibly kissed her teeth before sighing. "Wasn't talking to you."

"Hey, has anyone seen Klaus?" Number Eight asked, looking around the members of her family.

"Or Dad?" Sloane joined in. She was sat beside Luther, cuddling up to his side closely, scared that if she let go then they would be separated forever.

"They'll be here." Diego nodded with reassurance, spinning his knife in between his bandaged fingers. He would never admit it, but it was a habit he often did when he was nervous.

Ben scoffed, holding his arms out by his sides. "Really? Did they... hit traffic? Look, people, we're alive because we're special, right? We're the only ones who can save the universe."

"Uh, question." Allison held a pointed finger in the air.

"Yes?" Ben pointed at Allison, grateful for her inclusion

"Didn't we just try that and fail miserably?" Allison asked, tilting her head to one side. Not only had her personality become more sour since they arrived in this timeline, but now her appearance was altering. Her physique seemed slimmer than ever and her under eyes were growing dark and shadowed.

Diego nodded, throwing his knife perfectly at the wall. "Yeah, it's because his plan was stupid. I've got a better one."

"Course you do."  Ben looked Diego up and down.

"We go with the large hard-on particle accelerator. You guys do some science, and we launch the Kugelblitz into outer space! Didn't think I knew that, did ya? It's in Switzerland." Diego continued, nodded proudly.

Number Eight snorted in an attempt to conceal a laugh. "Diego, it's 'hadron', not 'hard-on'.

"Yeah, well at least I didn't blow up half of my family!" Diego mocked, pointing at Ben, who simply rolled his eyes.

"Guys, are you done? The universe is disappearing outside. So you can keep rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic if it makes you feel better. But the fact remains that we are too late." Number Five said, the tone of his voice serious yet solemn.

Ben and Diego scoffed in unison.

"Five, come on." Luther protested.

"It's over, Luther. We failed." Number Five said with a sigh, his eyes sharing a sad exchange with Number Eight's.

Viktor suddenly sat upright from his previously reclined position, taken aback by Number Five's unusual defeatist attitude. "Come on. It can't be over over."