XXVI - It's Like The Freaking Crystal Maze

"Wait. Allison! No, just listen to me!" Viktor called down the corridor as he chased after Allison.

Number Eight rolled her eyes as she released a heavily sigh through her nostrils. "I suppose we better go after them."

"I'd rather not, but I suppose so." Number Five shrugged his shoulders before exiting the hotel room with Number Eight close behind him. As the pair entered the corridor, their faces simultaneously contorted as they sensed a bizarre smell that didn't suit its surroundings.

"What the-?" Number Eight began to question before her eyes landed on what was causing the scent. At the end of the corridor sat a large burgundy plant with unruly leaves and a twisted trunk. "Hey, that definitely wasn't there before, was it?"

Number Five frowned at the plant as he ran his fingertips across one of the leaves. "No. No it was not." He shook his head. "Viktor? Allison?" The boy shouted down the hallway, hoping he would receive an answer from his family, however, he received nothing at all. His voice merely bounced in between the walls, causing an ominous echo.

Number Eight gasped lightly. "Five. I feel like I could potentially be going crazy, but where has the end of the corridor gone?" She questioned, pointing to the other end of the hallway which had previously led to a right turn, however, it was now a dead end.

"All right, so now the fun starts." Number Five scoffed as he placed his hands against the new wall, feeling out for any openings.

"How the hell do we get out?" Number Eight flicked her head from side to side, seeing no exit from the compact corridor

"How the hell do we get out?" Number Eight flicked her head from side to side, seeing no exit from the compact corridor. "It's changing..."

Number Five and Number Eight scrambled around the hotel rooms within the corridor, searching endlessly for a way out. As time went on, they noticed room numbers changing, paintings switching and carpets becoming different colours. The inescapable corridor that they had started in had become a maze of winding corners that were leading them back to the same spot they started at.

"Jesus, what the hell are we supposed to do? We're going in circles here! It's like the freaking Crystal Maze." Number Eight threw her arms down by her side in exasperation. Her stomach was in knots, and not just because of this current situation.

"Wait, wait. Eight. Listen." Number Five said quietly, hushing his partner. As the pair fell silent, they could hear the quiet chatter of two people in the near distance.

Number Eight listened closely before her mouth dropped. "That's Ben! I can tell by the shitty attitude in his voice." She chuckled to herself before the pair began to follow the sound of Ben's voice.

"I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm actually glad to see you guys." Number Five sighed in relief as he turned a corner to find Ben and Sloane talking in their own contorting corridor.

Sloane was slightly taken aback to see Number Five and Number Eight. She stammered on their arrival and swiftly wiped a couple of rogue tears away from her cheeks. "What's wrong?" She sniffled.