where it started.

How long had Fourthgrade and Olivia been friends? She didn't know exactly but she couldn't remember a time before him. When they grew up, they lived on the same street. He was quiet and so was she. The first time they spoke, she had fallen while riding her bike and he came over to check on her. He walked her to his house and helped her put bandages on her scraped knees. Ever since then, they had been best friends. No matter what happened, they were always there for each other.

When Fourthgrade started skating he found other friends than just her. Fuckshit, Ray, Ruben and Stevie. At first she felt awkward tagging along when they did things together but it didn't take long until they were her friends too.

Oliva prefer not to be at home and took every chance she could to get out and be with her friends. They were her escape so she could forget about everything else in her life. Her parents had always been drinkers so Olivia had to grow up fast to take care of herself. It was a relief to have Fourthgrade, he knew what it was like. The street they lived on was rough and everyone struggled with money and dysfunctional families.

"Bye, see you tomorrow!" Olivia said as they all walked out of Motors and Ray locked the door behind them. Fuckshit drove the boys home but Fourthgrade and her decided to walk home instead. It was the first day of summer break and she wanted to enjoy it for as long as she could.

"I wanna see what you filmed today..." He had always been shy with showing his work until he had edited it all, he was his own toughest critic. 

"I can show you some later." He replied with his usual crooked smile. 

Olivia's house was the first one on the street. The two teenagers stopped by the mailbox and they could hear the screaming going on inside, it was nothing new. She hated when her parents fought, she always had. It made her feel like she was still ten years old crying in the corner while they destroyed the house with their fighting.

"You shouldn't be home tonight Liv. Come on, let's go." 

She stared into thin air for a moment before she nodded. Many times she had wondered if she would grow up to be the same as them. Was that all she was destined to become? Fourthgrade put his arm around her and they kept walking down the street. His house was dark and empty, which was just as bad. 

"She went out... I don't think she's coming home tonight." 

Fourthgrade only had his mom who was a crackhead. In moments she would become clean and become the perfect mother, only for it to come crashing down again. When she was high, she was mean. She would tell Fourthgrade how stupid he was and how she wished she had aborted him when she had the chance. When they talked about it Fourthgrade always brushed it off and said that his mother didn't mean it but Olivia could see how it hurt him.

She followed after his tall stature as he unlocked the door and stepped inside. She hung up her jacket and kicked off her shoes before they made their way to his room. Olivia had probably been there a million times. It was small and messy, with movie posters on the walls and records stacked in piles on the floor. 

Fourthgrade placed his skateboard against the wall and put down his camera on his dresser

Fourthgrade placed his skateboard against the wall and put down his camera on his dresser. He was happy Olivia was there, he didn't like being in the house all alone. She fell back onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling, he joined in and laid down next to her.

"Why can't they just act like real parents for once?"

"I don't know..." 

It was a conversation they've had a million times before.

"Why is it so hard for them to just try?" Her voice broke a little when she spoke. A lump had formed in her throat making it hard to get any words out.

Instead of saying anything he just pulled her into a hug. She had learned not to count on anyone but him. Fourthgrade had never disappointed her or lied to her. He was the only one she had in the whole world and he felt the same about her. For a moment they just stayed there and said nothing.

"Are you tired?" He asked and she just nodded without saying anything. 

"Let's go to bed Liv." Fourthgrade let go of her and got up. He threw her one of his favorite shirts which was also one of her favorites. It was a black one with "Listen to Black Sabbath" written on it.

She exhaled slowly before sitting up and grabbing the t-shirt. Fourthgrade pulled his shirt over his head and threw it on the floor. For as long as she had known him, he had always been the tall and lanky kid. Olivia couldn't help but let her eyes wander across his torso. 

When he looked back at her she quickly looked away and got up to get changed. Now it was his turn to let eyes wander as she pulled off her pants and crop top. They had never crossed the line of being friends, never. But tension had always lingered between them but neither had ever dared to do anything about it. She put the shirt on and climbed underneath the covers.

"I'll sleep on the couch, give you some space." 

"Come on... We've always shared a bed, why would I need space now?"

"True." He replied with a chuckle. He unbuckled his pants and took them off before he laid down next to her.

"I think this summer is gonna be the best one yet..." She whispered softly.

"Let's make it the best one." 

She knew that if she had Fourthgrade, then the summer would be amazing. All she needed was her best friend and some sun.