the day after.

When Olivia woke up, it was cloudy outside which wasn't often during peak summer. Fourthgrades arms were wrapped around her and she turned to face him. He mumbled as she moved underneath the covers. For a moment she had forgotten about what had happened the night before but it slowly came back to her.

"Awake?" She asked, turning around to face him.

"Barely..." He mumbled without opening his eyes.

After he had made them tea, they had stayed up talking the whole night. They talked about everything. New albums coming out, that new trick Ray perfected and what other plans they had for the summer. They talked about everything else but their families.

"I uh... was thinking, maybe we can see the boys tonight instead? I don't want to have to explain to them." She didn't quite feel like herself just yet and she knew if she wasn't acting like her normal self their friends would notice. If she relaxed a little, she would be back on top to meet them tonight. He opened his eyes and she looked into them. They were blue with an inner circle of green, they were beautiful.

"I get it. We'll do something, just you and me and we'll see them later." He was saying exactly what she wanted to her. Just him and her for the day, just hanging out until she knew that she was back in business. He smiled at her and she couldn't help but to smile back.

"So what do you wanna do today?"

"I don't know... get outside. I guess I should practice." Olivia replied and exhaled, still keeping her gaze on him.

"I'll bring the camera."

They both got ready for the day and had some cereal before they headed out the door. Fourthgrade had called motors to tell the rest that they would be coming by later. Usually they went to the same spots but Olivia wanted to skate somewhere else. Just to mix things up a little. She had skated for a few years now, something she fell into when Fourthgrade introduced her into the group. She wasn't exactly good but she was far from bad. She wasn't a daredevil though, like Fuckshit and Ray. They always went for the biggest stairs where you could get really fucking hurt but Olivia didn't dare.

They found an empty parking lot by a closed down Taco Bell. She started skating around, doing a few variations of a kickflip before she started practicing her impossible. It wasn't going well at first though, it felt like her mind and body weren't in sync.

"Fuck!" She yelled out as she once again didn't land it, she threw away her board and went to sit down. Liv was a perfectionist and eventually she had to take a break before she would end up smashing her board. Which would be bad, since she had no money to get a new one. The one she had was Fuckshit's old one that he sold her for 20 bucks a few months ago. Fourthgrade skated up next to her, camera in hand. She got more nervous when he was filming because she just wanted to prove that she could do it.

"You're too impatient Liv!" He sat down next to her, taking a sip from the water bottle he had brought with him

"I know. It's just so fucking annoying..."

"Your cheek looks better now, not as red." He didn't want to be pushy but he also didn't want her to bottle up what had happened with her dad. Olivia didn't reply but it didn't stop him from keeping on going.

"What are you gonna do?" He asked and a scoff escaped her lips.

"What can I do? I have to go home eventually and they'll tell me it was a mistake and that they're sorry. You know what it's like." Everytime something happened, they apologized but she trusted them less each time. She could never let her guard down around them.

Ryder looked down at his hands, pale and veiny. He didn't know what to say, he wished he could fix all her problems and that she would be okay. She didn't deserve what her parents put her through.

"Do you feel safe going back home?"

"Yeah... It's fine." It comforted her that he lived close by though. It made her feel less alone.

"Okay I need to try again..." Olivia went after her board, if she didn't make it she would give up for the day. She tried a few times but it wasn't happening.

"Alright, I'm done..."

"Yeah we don't wanna see the she hulk appear today." He teased and looked down to turn his camera off.

"Oh, shut up." She replied and rolled her eyes. Everyone knew she had a bit of a temper but how could she not with parents like hers? She tried to get better at it though. Being mad when not landing a trick wasn't too bad. They skated back home and they realized that they had been out for the whole day, it just flew by.

"I think I'm gonna go home, take a shower and then meet you guys at motors afterwards."

"You sure? You know you can stay if you want to." Ryder was more worried about her wellbeing than she was.

"I know, I think I just wanna rip the bandage of." Because in the end, they were her family and she had no one else. She had nowhere to go if she wanted to leave. It was the hand she had been dealt in life and she didn't want to make things harder for herself.

"It'll be fine. You know how they are..."

He wasn't going to force her to do anything, he knew what it was like. After a fight with his mom, things would eventually calm down again and turn to normal. That was just the bad circle they went through, over and over again.

They stood by her mailbox when he gave her one last long hug. He didn't want to let her go but he knew they would see each other at motors in a while again. Even though he wanted to help, it was her battle to fight and all he could do was to be there for her. Ryder pulled away slightly, gaze locked on her face.

"I'll see you soon." He said and she could feel melting by the way he looked at her. He let go and waited for her to start walking.

"I'll be there by eight." She said with a nod before turning her back on him, slowly walking towards the front door. Ryder debated on if he should wait for a while to see that it was alright but he knew she didn't want him to, so he kept on walking home.

Olivia couldn't hear any screaming but she saw that the lights were turned on inside. Deep exhale before she opens the door. She kicked off her shoes and went towards the living room where she heard the TV.

"Hey..." It was only her mom there, watching jeopardy. An empty glass of whine standing on the coffee table.

"Oh hey honey, where did you go last night? I got so worried!" Her mom got up and approached her. Olivia didn't answer and just looked at her mother.

"Did you go to Ryder's house?" She only nodded as a reply.

"Okay good, that's good. Was it okay that you stayed there?" Her mom was asking all of the wrong questions, it wasn't what Olivia wanted to hear.

"Where's dad?"

"He went out... A few hours ago. He feels so bad for what he did but you know that, don't you sweetheart?" Her mom reached out and placed a strand of hair behind Olivia's ear.

"You know him, he wouldn't.... I think he's just worried for you. That you're out with your friends all night. We know Ryder but those other boys... And you always look so sad when we see you." She had to bite her tongue to not start screaming at her mother. She made it sound like it was her fault that her father had slapped her, that if she was different, he wouldn't have done it.

"You know it has nothing to do with that." She spat back, jaws clenched.

"Honey we-"

"I'm gonna take a shower then I'm going to see my friends." She said, interrupting her mother. It was easier to forget it ever happened and move on than to actually have a real conversation with her parents.

That was how it always had been.