Wild Card

On the fourth day that I awaken in the valley, I am presented with the conundrum of how much water is too much water for my plants and how much is too little. I try counting to ten on each plot of dirt, but the water in my can runs out so quickly that I have to make multiple trips to the little pond for more. It's late morning by the time I finally finish.

When I begin to head back to the cottage to figure out what to do with the rest of my time, I notice a squat woman with copper hair waiting at the edge of my porch. In her hands, is a cardboard box with holes cut from the sides in various spacings and with no degree of precision. I slow my pace to keep some distance from the suspicious package.

"You may want to fertilize that dirt, you know."

What kind of greeting was that? "I'm sorry?"

"Forgive me, but the soil around here has heavy clay sediments. Good dirt is rich brown or almost black," she says as though it were a comment about the weather. "Your plants will need nutrients from the ground. I can sell you some manure from my cows."

"Manure?"

"Yes, cow feces is rich with good nutrients for plants."

This crazy lady came all the way over here to sell me cow poop? Who does that?

"I'll think about that." Maybe if I go along with it, she'll leave me alone?

"Sorry, I completely forgot what I came here for." Crazy Lady laughs to herself. "I want to introduce myself. I'm your neighbor, Marnie. I own the ranch to the south. My barn cat had a litter recently, and I thought a kitten would make a nice welcome present."

Marnie holds out the cardboard box. A box with a living cat inside.

"I'm not sure I have it in the budget right now to care for an animal." I try to motion the box away.

"Oh, she'll mostly take care of herself," Marnie insists. "Cats are good at taking care of the field nice and snakes. All you have to do is keep a water bowl nice and full!"

"Snakes?!" No one told me this place has snakes!

"And you know," Marnie continues on as if she didn't hear me, "if you need some extra cash now and then, you're welcome to forage the woods near my ranch. Pierre will buy whatever you find."

That might actually do me some good, I tell myself. "Thank you."

"Oh, don't you mind that, dear. Now, are you sure you don't want a cat around?"

I glance around the farm. The exposed earth from my garden is the only real sign of life aside from me. Soon, I'll have plants talk to and tell my troubles, but they will whither away just as quickly. It could be nice to have a small companion to keep me company. Not to mention to get rid of the snakes.

"You know, what? Maybe I could use an extra set of eyes on this place," I admit finally.

"Oh, good! Oh, good!" Marnie places the box in my hands, and it takes me a moment to adjust to the movement of weight as the cat paces. "What will you name her?"

"Dottie," I answer immediately, "like the cat on Four Sleeping Gentlemen."

"Oh? I guess I haven't heard of that movie."

"I used to watch it with my--" I stop short. I used to watch it with my maid. I would beg her to sit with me any chance she could spare. She was the only person home most days. "With my grandpa," I finish.

"Oh, I bet you miss him very much." The sympathy in Marnie's voice is thick and, while annoying, very genuine.

Something chokes me as I try to speak. "Yeah, I do."