Devine Meeting

He's here?! Maybe not physically here, but even the middle of nowhere has the claws of Joja Corp dug in. How could I have missed it? I think to myself as I watch the monstrosity of a building from afar.

The smallest JojaMart I've ever seen nestles behind the smoking house near the library. I never drew up the courage to explore any further because the smoke burned my lungs, and so the JojaMart sat undiscovered. I stagger under the weight of my discovery. Does this mean I have to leave?

Where would I go? I have absolutely nothing else and no one else to turn to.

"Does it bring up joyous feelings?"

I wheel around. A god in a red coat watches me with curiosity. Elliot has his hands tucked into pockets while he rests against the char-covered house.

I open my mouth to retort, but there's nothing. What did he say? Did he say that on purpose?

"JojaMart is a good place to buy what you need for very little. I assume someone who budgets as much as you would benefit from that?"

Still, nothing. I stand frozen like an idiot.

Elliot just smiles at me innocently. If he knew something, he would have done something by now, I tell myself. I would be packed into Josh's sports car and halfway to Zuzu.

"I don't know what you mean," I stall. "It's the ugliest building in town."

Elliot leans one arm against a wall of black stone belonging to the smokehouse. "Oh, no arguments here." He gives me a sideways glance that seems to be something of a signature move. "That's why I like to stare at it for hours as well."

"It hasn't been hours!" I correct without thinking first.

"Ah," Elliot places a hand gracefully over his heart, grimacing, "it seems I've struck a nerve."

I shake my head. "It's nothing. What brings you here anyways?"

"I was headed for the library when I saw you, and it occurred to me that no one has given you a proper invitation to the Pelican Town Egg Festival." The god grins at me. "I want you to be my date."

My lips part as my jaw hangs slack in surprise. "D-date?"

"Unless you already promised yourself to someone else?"

Again it feels like those words are meant to mean something more. Elliot's brown eyes are fixed on me like an interviewer for a tabloid. As heavenly as I first thought he looked, I can't shake the feeling that this is something sinister.

"I don't know you, Elliot," my voice is quiet but not timid, "and I'm not looking for that sort of thing."

My heart pounds as the deity shifts his weight away from the wall. He could hold the power in this conversation, but that doesn't mean I can just cave. I hold his dark gaze with chin raised.

After one heartbeat, then two, laughter bursts from the godlike man.

"No not that sort of date, silly," Elliot says good-naturedly. "I mean I'm too handsome to keep showing up to these sorts of things alone, and having the newcomer on my arm will help me stand out." Then he adds, "Besides you don't know all the good gossip yet, and I love to gossip."

Ice-cold relief trickles down my spine. My chest unclenches just a smidge. "You mean go as friends?"

Elliot smiles. "Yes, I probably should have phrased it like that."

Gussy could only escort me to places and events deemed necessary to the image of Joja Corp when Josh was otherwise preoccupied. It felt more manageable to walk through the crowds of peacocking people with someone whispering snide remarks in my ear. Something dull and hard slams into my chest at the thought of replacing him with a stranger.

I swallow back the threatening tremor in my voice. "Then yes, we can attend together as friends. I can meet you there if you let me know—"

"No, I'll pick you up."

Gulping, "My farm is clear across town for you."

"And you're worth the walk."

My eyelids flutter open and shut so quickly that I'm positive they are broken. Elliot must think I'm insane. With cheeks burning, I drop my gaze to the grass at my feet to avoid the radiant face of the god. Over the roar of my panicked thoughts, I hear footsteps in the grass growing closer. Elliot looks down at me.

"Don't worry," he says, "I'm not a fan of Joja myself."

I watch, slack-jawed, as the god swaggers away. His red hair dances on a spring breeze that tugs at his old red coat. Elliot is the picture of perfection and ease.

His words have to be referring to our conversation only. They have to. There's no way someone could know, could even suspect... and not turn me in.

Right?

Picking up my chin and squaring my shoulders, I turn away from the monstrous building and shut out every thought that someone could know the truth. It's about time I stop freaking out over every little thing. My past will either catch up to me or it won't. I'll just have to live one day at a time to find out. Today, I am safe.

Today, I am free.