Partners in Misery

Abigail

The dresses we have to wear for the Flower Dance are an absolute atrocity. For a "fertility" dance, the town sure does play up to a traditional wedding theme complete with white dresses for the girls and three-piece suites for the guys. There are reasons why we used to tease each other about being fated to marry your partner one day.

I still remember the first time I danced with Sebastian. We were fifteen, and he stepped on my toes every other beat. Damn, that boy was red. His ears, his cheeks, and even his neck were solid red. Back then, it felt good to have someone who looked at me like I was everything.

So what changed?

I pick at an embroidered flower on my dress. Sebastian used to drop by my house on the way to the meadow. We would pick up Sam along the way and head into the field like an untouchable threesome. The witch, the emo, and the skater boy. Outcast and proud.

"You ready to go?" Mom calls from the kitchen.

"No."

Dad peeks around my door with an unfinished tie hanging from his collar. "You look ready to me." He tries to smile at me, but I don't return in kind.

"Come on, Abby," Mom pops around Dad's shoulder to make a simple knot in the tie, "it'll be over in no time, and they're serving your favorite banana pudding."

Granny Evelyn only makes her famous banana pudding once a year. It's the creamiest pudding I've ever tasted. She puts the right amount of vanilla, and she doesn't make the banana chunks too small. It's been the only thing that's successfully kept my ass coming back to this sexist festival each year.

And it probably will this year too.

"Fine," I groan. "I'm already dressed anyways."

Once we make it to the hidden meadow that I swear only gets used for this stupid dance, my eyes lock on Sam. The blue of the Flower Dance suit makes the color of his eyes pop and the pink tones in his cheek flare. I can't understand why Penny would want to run away from this. He looks like the rockstar of every girl's dreams.

Then again, I guess he's not the rockstar of my dreams... so touche?

"Where's Sebastian?" I ask putting a hand out to avoid Sam barrelling into me.

"You didn't get his text?"

Pulling my phone from my bra, I tap the screen awake. Nothing but the time greets me, and I shake my head.

"He's completely trashed," Sam whispers.  "Says he got a little cross-faded again."

I frown.

Sebastian hasn't smoked pot since the last time he got faded. It was the day of our graduation, and I was sure I was going to have to carry him to Harvey's. Sebastian puked his guts up long after sunrise, but he barely had the strength to reach the toilet.

"Robin didn't kick his ass?" I question while eyeing the ginger across the field.

"She thinks he's sick."

"Ah," I say like it all makes sense, but there's something about this story that doesn't quite fit. I just don't know what it is or why it bothers me. So what if Sebastian found a way out of this circus show? Good for him. It means I don't have to dance after all. "Did you manage to ask Farmer Junox to be your stand-in?"

Sam's head droops ever so slightly, but I still notice it and the falter in his expression. "She wasn't home. No one's seen hide or hair of the mysterious farmer since yesterday."

"Maybe she went for a hike?"

Sighing, Sam rakes a hand through his hair; it sticks up worse than usual at this. "What if she doesn't know about the old mines? She could fall through a shaft or get caught under rubble. Hell, even if she's not dumb enough to go exploring a random cave, we're all down here — the farthest place possible from the mountains. What if she sprains her ankle or--"

I clamp a hand over Sam's mouth. "Okay, first, Junox is a big girl who can handle herself. Second, since when are you her dad?"

My friend slaps my hand away in annoyance. "I'm just worried about her, okay? She lost her parents, and she doesn't really have anyone in town to look out for her. Just because you push away everyone who cares for you doesn't mean we all want to be isolated bitches because it feels less mainstream."

I smack Sam so fast that I don't think it makes good contact with his cheek, but at the very least, no one else sees me. Rage burns in Sam's blue eyes briefly before he seems to think better of himself. Blinking, he takes a step back.

"Okay, I deserved that," he grumbles finally.

"Yeah," I snap, "you did."

"I'm just worried about Junox and Seb," Sam says so quietly that the chatter of people nearly drowns him out.

"Then, go dance the fertile tango and look for Junox in a little while. Both she and Sebastian are better off for missing this snooze fest."

The grimace Sam makes at that causes my heart to sink. Oh, no. Don't tell me. Don't say what I think you're going to say. Please, Sam. Please, no.

"Lewis says if Penny won't dance and Seb can't make it, then you and I have to dance together this year."

"Yabba, Sam!" I groan. "That's when you call me to tell me to fake a sprain or a migraine, something! Damnit!"

"I was going to!" Sam defends himself. "Then you guys walked up like as soon as I was free of Lewis."

I drop my head in defeat. "Okay, there's only one thing left to do."

"Which is?" Sam sounds dubious.

"Push me over that log so I get a real sprain. Make it look good!" I crouch in to position, prepared to end it all.

Just as Sam starts to argue, the sound of slow and heavy footsteps sends my heart into a downward spiral. When I look over, Mayor Lewis is watching us with a twitch in his greying mustache. He's daring me to try something.

"Well fuck," I mutter loud enough that even the geezer should hear.

"Hey, this is a sacred ritual, young lady," Lewis barks. "Show some decorum, and get in place. You two are the only pair we're waiting on."

Young lady? I'm twenty not twelve!

Mayor Lewis practically drags me kicking and screaming to the Flower Dance line up. I won't do it without Sebastian. He's the only person who's as miserable in this town as I am, and I won't do this unless he's here! How is it fair that he's happily sick in bed, and I'm out here in a wedding dress sweating my ass off?! If I have to suffer, so should he. Even when the music begins, I dig in my heals and refuse to budge.

"Abs."

The sound is uncomfortable. Sam is uncomfortable, I realize. As much as I want Sebastian standing right in front of me, he must want... Penny.

How badly must it hurt to know that the girl you've always dreamed of marrying can't even look you in the eyes? There's something like a plea in Sam's expression. If you ever wondered why they're called "puppy dog eyes," this would be the explanation. It's like trying to turn away a wounded golden retriever.

I deflate taking a moment to compose myself. "Fine, but you better not step on my toes."

As I take Sam's outstretched hand, I stomp down the question running rampant through my thoughts. Why didn't Sebastian tell me that he wasn't coming today?

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Junox POV to showcase the Pelican Town Flower Dance. The next two(ish) chapters will be villagers' POV as we get into some plot B thickening :)