Red

Sam

My chest pounds. My throat is dry. The stage lights burn spots into my vision, and it's impossible to tell if she's there. I can't even make out the familiar forms of Mom and Vinn in the chaos below. I know they're there. They're always there for me.

And I know Dad would be here if he could.

Ignoring the pools of sweat on my palms, I grip the mic with both hands to make the bridge seem that much punchier. There have to be a hundred girls screaming in the front row as I tilt the stand like Mike Michaels used to on Camp Pop. Juni has to be among them. I can feel it.

"You don't get what's left of me. Baby, don't you see?" I pause for the drums. "You are the best of me."

Aaand guitar riff.

Juni has to know. She has to hear these songs and understand. I wrote them for her. I wrote them all for—

No, that's not entirely true.

"Thanks so much for helping with class today," Penny said with a voice barely heard over the sounds of Vincent and Jazz screaming through the square. She tucks a lock of red hair behind her ear. "I can't teach them everything, and music is really important for them at this age."

"Don't sweat it. I'm sorry Vinn decided he could be a little ass just because I was here. If he does that again, I'll—"

Penny grabbed my hand with cheeks bright red. "Your brother isn't your responsibility when he's here. I can manage."

My face reddened as well.

Penny dropped my gaze and my hand with a nervous giggle. "See you at the Fall Festival!"

There was a flash of red hair as a shy smile lit up Penny's face.

"Alright, everybody! How we hanging in there, Stardew Valley?"

The crowd roars in response. The sound excites every nerve in my body. I have to grip the neck of my guitar to keep my hand from shaking.

"That's sick, man." I smile at the front row where Vincent promised he would have Juni watching. Silently, I apologize for what's coming next. "Hey, we're getting real close to the end here, but this next song is pretty special to me and the gang. This was the first song we wrote and performed together." I hear someone woop from the crowd. "Some of you may know it if you're from Stardew High, but this next song is called Red."

"You're just so lovely. Blue eyes, small smile. You're the only one for me."

"I thought you said this wasn't about Penny?" Abigail snorted.

"Shut up!" I hissed while trying not to lose the rhythm under my fingertips. "It's not!"

Seb leaned back in my desk chair with a wicked grin and narrowed eyes. "Oh, just wait for the chorus."

Abigail leaped up from my bed. "Ooh, the chorus?" she mimicked as she snatched the sheet music from its resting place against my top drawer.

"Hey!" I tried to swat the thief away. "Put it back!"

Instead of obliging, Abigail cleared her throat like an official announcer or something and began to read the chorus. "Red sunset over red trees. Red roses are exactly what I need. When I see your red hair, I might as well be looking through a pair of rose-tinted glasses. Or maybe I'm a student reading love poems in your classes..."

"It's not done yet," I said through gritted teeth.

"Obviously," Abigail snorted. She really could be wicked sometimes. What did Seb see in her? Why did he insist that she join the band?

Sebastian knew Abigail better than me, though. He reached through her blind spot and plucked the paper from black-tipped fingers. "We can work on it with you, Sam."

My heart stuttered. "You mean it?"

"Eh, yeah, but there is a significant amount of hell you gotta wade through first."

"Like you totally gotta kiss 'er." Abigail smiled ruefully.

The crowd roars. They're screaming our names and waving flashlights to the rhythm of my feelings for a girl who doesn't love me back. The thought threatens to choke me. Junox can't see me struggle over the song I wrote for someone else. She'll know. She'll know, and she'll do the smartest thing anyone can do. She'll run away and avoid getting caught up in my shit.

"I wear my heart on my sleeve, so I can carry you with me. Got that deep love just for you, crimson and true. We match colors now, don't forget. We are forever red."

...and fade out as the crowd cheers on.

"Thank you, Stardew Valley, and goodnight everybody!" I say this just as the lights dim to nothing.

"Hey, you okay?" Abigail says as softly as she can while remaining audible over the roar of people.

"I'm fine."

"I told you we didn't have to play Red tonight. We have plenty of other material," Sebastian joins in as we disembark the stage.

"Why wouldn't we play Red?" I hiss. "It's just a song, okay? Everyone loves it."

Sebastian grabs my shoulder. "Dude, your voice crac—"

"Sammy!"

I hesitate long enough to spare my friend a "piss off" glare before dropping to one knee. "Vincent! My man! What'd yah think, buddy? Did you and Ms. Juni have fun?"

"Ms. Juni left during the first song. We don't know where she went." My little brother ends with a nasty cough.

"What?" I say the word, but it's nearly drowned out by Sebastian growling the same question.

"But you were so cool!" Vincent wheezes, unfazed, and pumps the air with his little fists.

"Th-thanks, bud," I mumble, but my head buzzes with the knowledge that all this was for nothing. "Be sure you use your inhaler, kiddo." Everything tonight was a total waste.

I am so sorry this is a week late, but it was NOT good to go and I was not good to go last Friday. For my faithful readers, please know that I wanted this chapter to go out before Captor, but I couldn't risk leaving you all in suspense. That being said, I hope it's not too confusing when I push this chapter before Captor for my future readers' enjoyment : )

You all are great! Happy Friday!