Friends Just Help

"Charity Hornsby! What do you think you're doing? Do you have any idea how important today is?"

My mother's face was tight and red. It usually looked like that when I had fun. Fun, at least by my definition, was strictly prohibited. Mom's definition of fun was limited to learning piano, going dress shopping, getting hair treatments, and running on the treadmill. I especially hated that last one. It made my legs hurt.

"I'm playing chase with a frog!" I exclaimed holding out my prize for winning the game. Of course, to earn said prize, I lost my balance and fell into the koi pond.

"Drop that filthy creature this instant!" Mom howled. "Ugh, you will need a second bath. Matthias, Winston!" Two of the family bodyguards sprang to life and padded over. "Ensure Miss Charity is delivered to her room immediately, and inform the maid that she is to be scrubbed head to toe as quickly as possible. I want her worthy of a Jones in half an hour."

One hour of scrubbing, brushing, and curling later, I was clad in my newest dress and seated at the piano. Mother instructed me to play until Mrs. Jones gave her approval. She said that a lot was riding on this. I wasn't sure what that meant, but I knew her back was straight as a board.

The doorbell sounded, and Mom took a deep breath. Then, the sounds of women chittering filled our grand entrance. Mom gave more compliments in the span of two minutes than she'd given me in nine years. Someone with a sharp voice asked to see "the proposal." That's when they walked into the drawing-room where I was playing Upan.

"She's very young."

"That will be to your son's benefit one day." Mom glanced nervously at me when I missed a note. "It also means we have plenty of time to make changes. She's still at that impressionable age, so Joshua can have whatever he likes. I know his last relationship was a true blonde. We could dye—"

"No." The word was so forceful that it ricocheted off the ceiling and crown molding. I missed another note. "We want to distance ourselves from my son's exploits." 

"Of course."

"Stand here, child."

My fingers froze on the keys so abruptly that the echo of music reverberated in a ghostly tone. I obeyed the stranger in an instant. Once I was poised in the spot where her finger pointed, the woman began to walk slow circles around me. It made me dizzy following her movements with my eyes. She had me open my mouth and ran my hair through her fingers. When she snapped said fingers, a maid rushed forward to deliver a cream-colored folder with my name in black print.

"This is the report from the Exchange?"

"Yes." Mom nodded.

"We will, of course, have our own physician follow up before we finalize all arrangements, but your daughter does seem to fit the criteria well."

"She will be a perfect wife for Joshua. Though I must admit, this is a bit of a surprise. We were told she was being groomed for a general's son. My husband and I were most surprised to be matched with someone of such..." Mom faltered, "high social standing. It's an honor."

"Joja Corp saw no need to waste resources on something like the Exchange for many years. Obviously, recent incidents have proven otherwise. My son is no more capable of choosing his future bride than running the company. Luckily, he has people to do both for him."

Mother nodded again. "In the meantime, is there anything we can do? The last family requested that Charity be proficient in piano, but we can alter her curriculum however you see fit."

"Stop wasting time on the piano," the woman said with a sneer. "She's horrendous, and Joshua could care less. He isn't particularly bright, himself, so schooling will matter very little. In fact, I would be happy to avoid another Tammie Archer incident altogether, but she will need a new name. Charity..." the woman made a face of disgust, "no it doesn't fit the Joja brand at all. From now on, this will be Joy. Joy Hornsby. Future Mrs. Joshua Jones."

When I finish explaining my experiences prior to Pelican, Sebastian stares at me dumbfounded.

"You realize that everything you just told me involves either human trafficking, statutory rape, sexual assault, or domestic abuse, right?"

"I don't fully understand all of those words," I admit.

Sebastian rakes a hand through his hair. "We have to tell the police."

"You saw the missing person report," I refute. "They think I'm crazy. The police will just hand me over as soon as I open my mouth."

"LMAS is a genetic disorder. We can demand that they test you!" The fire in Sebastian's tone makes my heart sink. He doesn't realize how hopeless it is.

"You think that my family has never paid off a doctor before?" I lift my shirt enough to reveal the scars along my spine. "Josh threw me into a metal banister. I fell into the glass coffee table afterward."

Silence fills the cottage as if Sebastian is holding his breath. When the cool night air brings goosebumps to my exposed skin, I pull the fabric back into place. I don't turn around for a long moment though feeling suddenly vulnerable. I've never shown anyone those scars, I realize. Not even Gussy.

I always wanted to pretend that they didn't exist.

If no one reminded me of how bad things had gotten, I could cling to memories of when times were good. I could believe that I was still fifteen, and Josh and I had just met, and he was teaching me how to play video games. I could believe mine was the name he called out when he fucked me, and it really wasn't fucking -- it was sex between two people who love each other. I could believe all the lies I rehearsed for dinner parties, cocktails, and auctions. I could take every slap, every scrape, every gold-digging bitch he brought to our bed. I could smile. I could make five-star meals. I could have been the perfect wife.

If I could just pretend forever.

Finally, Sebastian exhales. "Damn, Junox. These people need to pay for what they've done. It is beyond fucked up that they can just get away with this."

I shake my head. With my back still turned to Sebastian, I say with a voice full of emotion, "I can't risk what that means for the baby. Right now, the Jones have no idea that it exists, and that means this child is safe. Whatever punishment my parents and that damn family receive in hell is enough for me."

A hand rests lightly on my shoulder. "Do you really think that you can hide forever if they are as powerful as you say?"

"Yes," I lie, "of course, I can."

Sebastian turns my body to face him. There's a calculating glint in his dark eyes, and I know that I haven't fooled him. Still, the man just nods.

"Be careful, Junox. Promise me that you'll come to me, Sam, or Abigail if you're ever in trouble. I know they don't know your secrets, but friends don't have to know the whole story. Friends just help."

I blink to push the wet spots from my vision.

Friends just help.

The read aloud extension that I use for revisions was a little wonky, so let me know if something is off. I'm blind as a bat to most errors. Also, I have been kinda busy beyond busy the past month. I should have free time coming up over the summer, but there may still be weeks when I can't publish. I just wanted to warn you guys! Thank you for sticking in here! Happy Friday!