Chapter 12-Tesha

Date on Earth: Thursday, October 5th

"Oh, hey Tesh!"

I met Asher at the surface. He sighed happily as he breathed in fresh air. "Finally. I felt like I was suffocating in there."

I smiled. "So that is why you wanted to get out so badly."

He shrugged nonchalantly. "One of the reasons."

Shivering, I played with the dagger Zogi had given me. The temperature seemed significantly colder than it had been a day before. At the moment, I was thankful to still be wearing my Axonian uniform. Even if it was uncomfortable, at least it was warm.

The sky was also dark. Even with my eyes squinted, it was hard to make out anything besides shadows. It was such a drastic change from the daytime and all its bright colors. On Nibura, you could hardly notice the change from night to day. Here on Earth, the two were polar opposites.

Asher rubbed his exposed arms; he didn't have any fabric to keep them warm. "Pretty chilly, isn't it?" He told me.

I nodded. "Very."

Looking behind me, Asher asked, "Is Tristen not coming?"

"No. I don't think he was too fond of the idea of killing."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense." He blew out a breath. The cold temperature made the warmer air visible. I breathed out as well, watching as it faded away.

I gazed across the field. The grassy land extended for miles, with only a few trees in sight. It would be easy to spot something to eat.

In the distance stood a bush to hide behind.

"Follow me," I told Asher, then ran forward.

I crouched behind the half-dead plant, Asher next to me.

We waited in silence for some animal to come into view. Overhead were a few bird-like creatures which Asher called bats. Unfortunately, he said they weren't edible, so we had to wait for another animal to appear.

We waited for a long time, when finally a small creature hopped by. It had long ears and a round tail. It stopped for a second to sniff the air, nose twitching.

"Edible?" I asked him. Asher nodded.

"Yup. I mean personally I haven't tried rabbit before, but-"

"Great." I pulled my arm back and aimed for the animal's chest. In a smooth motion, I sent the dagger flying. The rabbit didn't even have time to flinch before the weapon pierced through its heart.

The creature went limp and I ran to it, pulling the dagger out and cleansing the blood off on the grass.

Asher whistled. "Wow, nice throw. You'll have to teach me that sometime."

"I'd be happy to." Handing him the dagger, I picked up the rabbit.

There was an opening in the sky, and the moon shone brightly, casting everything in a bluish glow. I carried the dead animal, and together, Asher and I searched for Zogi's tunnel.

With the dim light, the tunnel was easier to spot. When we got to the entrance, Asher slid in first, tucking his walking stick under his arm. I followed after, cradling the rabbit in my arms.

I landed uncomfortably at the bottom, right on my tailbone. I resisted the urge to gag when I noticed the fresh blood stains on my uniform.

Asher appeared next to me, grimacing. "I would offer to help you up, but your hands are a little...dirty," he said. I looked down at them to find both hands bright red.