Chapter 25-Asher

Date on Earth: Tuesday, October 10

Throbbing.

Pulsing.

Stabbing.

The world transformed into white noise as the pain worsened and worsened until it was all I could think about.

No, I wasn't talking about my leg—though that did hurt like stepping on a lego. Maybe a little worse.

But no. Of course it had to be my head.

Maybe it was dehydration. Or maybe I just lost a little too much blood from the increasingly annoying stab wound.

Pfft, yeah right.

I was all too familiar with this type of headache. The type that only came around when something terribly wrong was about to occur. Something that had started happening way too often for my liking.

I tried to ignore it. I really did. There were countless excuses I could use to persuade myself that it wasn't that feeling.

But I knew better.

I hated that I knew better.

Because if my senses were really correct, then all this traveling and serpent-fighting and cop car hijacking...

It was all for nothing. All our hope was in vain.

We weren't safe.

I resisted the overwhelming urge to rip out the hair on my scalp and scream as loud as I could. Of course it couldn't have been that easy. A safe haven where we could hide from monsters and aliens and whatever other creatures from who knows where with no fear? Now it was obvious that it was too good to be true.

The question was...did Diana know the truth?

The group was down the hill before I could say any type of warning. Chills ran down my back, and not just because of fear. The temperature had dramatically dropped, as if sensing my mood change and decided to match it.

And I knew why.

I tried to open my mouth and usher out a warning.

But it was too late.

Ice suddenly replaced the green grass, gripping tightly on my feet and arms. The same happened to Tesha, Tristen, and Diana. All our faces matched with the same shock and fear and hopelessness.

All except Diana's.

"Diana?" Tristen's quiet voice cut across the field.

The redhead remained silent, but her cheeks glimmered with tears. Regret was etched onto her features as she looked down.

"Good work, young child."

Our eyes snapped up to the tall gray alien as he emerged from the trees. His toothy grin was smug as he walked forward. "You did well."

"I kept my part of the deal," Diana said, ignoring our looks of disbelief. "Now it's your turn. Show me that my family is safe."

General Inugio lifted his arm up to give in order. In a flash, the spaceship was revealed in all its glory, the ramp slowly opening to reveal three other Axones, each carrying the limp body of an individual.

Diana's expression turned into one of horror.

"You said they'd be safe!" She screamed.

"Calm down, human. All we've done is given them a sedative. After all, we couldn't have them finding out that we exist. However, we need to ensure that you will continue to comply, so motivation is needed. If you try to resist, then..."