Chapter 18-Diana

Date on Earth: Sunday, October 8

Fear is a funny thing.

It makes you do things you'd never do. Say things you'd never say. Act in ways you'd never act.

And nothing is scarier than guilt. Knowing that you are the reason something bad is happening to somebody else.

It's easy to pretend an event isn't your fault. You just need to find someone else to blame.

And the easiest person to put the blame on at the moment was Tristen. The boy who had bullied me for years. Who got on my nerves the second this alien crap started.

Who also happened to be the person that held the messaging device which had broken.

Deep down, I knew the incident had been my fault, as everything seemed to be. And Tristen had done the right thing keeping the device away from me at the time.

But if I admitted that, my walls would crash down. I wouldn't have the energy to hold back tears.

So I walked behind the group in silence, arms crossed and head down. I refused to talk. Refused to apologize.

"Which way, Captain?" Asher said to Tesha, arm around Tristen's shoulder. I quickly glanced at Tristen. His face was pale and his hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. But he was smiling and his eyes were brighter, despite his earlier panic attack. I almost sighed in relief after seeing that he was doing better.

Which irritated me more than anything.

I didn't want to feel bad for Tristen. That made it harder for me to make him seem like the bad guy.

Tesha rolled out the map and lifted it up. "According to the map, we should continue heading south."

"We can just follow the road from yesterday," Tristen said. "That should keep us in the right direction."

"So smart," Asher teased, and I rolled my eyes. It was obvious Asher was being extra to cheer Tristen up. Though I had to hand it to him; it did seem to be working.

What I wasn't prepared for was for Asher to slow down and walk in step with me and decide to attempt bringing up my mood as well.

"You look upset," he said bluntly as we continued forward together. I snorted sarcastically.

"Smiles, I'm really not in the mood," I huffed. Asher clicked his tongue and put his hand on his chin.

"You know, that's exactly what Tristen said."

I felt a mix of guilt and anger at the statement. "Yeah, well maybe that should tell you something."

"That you and Tristen might be more alike than you think?"

I growled. "Oh, I see what you're doing here. And forget it. I'm not going to say sorry to that slimy low-grade rhinoceros."

Asher covered his mouth, shaking slightly. I watched in annoyance as he slowly lost control and started laughing hysterically.

"HEY TRISTEN," he yelled in between laughs. "DIANA SAID YOU'RE A SLIMY LOW-GRADE RHINOCEROS!" My cheeks flushed(in anger, not embarrassment.)

"It's true," I mumbled, arms crossed.

Tristen smiled slightly, but he still looked pained. "Yeah, I deserve that."

Another wave of guilt surfaced, and I quickly pushed it down, determined to hold on to the grudge a little while longer.

Asher wiped tears from his eyes. "That was amazing, Diana. I applaud you for that wonderful insult. Almost better than 'Unicorn Guy.'" My lips twitched like they wanted to smile, but didn't have the energy. Asher frowned. "Come on, no smirk at least?"