Chapter 21-Tristen

Date on Earth: Tuesday, October 10

I couldn't seem to get myself to move as I stared at the hideous creature that was straight out of a horror film. It almost looked like a terrifying shadow, considering how dark it was.

But as it got closer, it was clear it wasn't a trick of light.

Almost effortlessly, it stuck its body out of the air, gazing down on its next big meal.

With as little movement as I could, I tried to see where Diana was. She stood in the water, frozen. Her eyes were unblinking and her face was a shade lighter than usual.

The serpent-monster thing wasn't paying Diana any attention, though. Instead, it kept its eyes pinned on me, Asher, and Tesha.

It let out a deafening screech and revealed its sharp teeth with what looked like a malicious grin. The creature seemed to be toying with us as he watched us on the boat, not making any attempt to come after us.

"What's it doing?" Asher said under his breath as he tightened his grip on the oar in his hand. "Is it going to attack us or not?"

As if to answer, it ducked back into the lake, disappearing into dark water.

It took a few seconds to process.

"Diana, get on the boat quickly!" Tesha shouted, holding her hand out. "It can come back any second!"

Diana didn't respond. She just stood still, shaking her head.

"It can't be alive," she said to herself. "It's dead. I killed it. I killed it."

"Wait, you've seen it before?" Asher asked. The redhead didn't answer.

"Now is not the time to ask questions," Tesha stated. "Diana, you have to get out of the water."

"Diana?" I called out, but she was still unresponsive.

My heart rate sped up as I scanned the water for the monster, not sure if the fact that I couldn't see it was a good thing or a terrible thing.

We continued to call out Diana's name, but no matter how many times we did, she didn't show any sign that she was hearing. It became clear that she wasn't going to move by herself.

I made eye contact with Asher and Tesha. They both came to the same conclusion: someone had to go after her.

"I will go," Tesha said, giving her alien gun to me. "Here. Use this if the Krail comes back."

I pushed the weapon back to her. "I don't know how to use this. We need you to be the one to fight off the monster."

"Then who will go?"

I looked back at Diana, standing in the water in shock. My stomach twisted tightly as I took a deep breath.

"I'll go."

Before I could change my mind, I dived into the water.

Adrenaline rushed through my body. I pushed through the lake. The water wasn't deep, only reaching my mid-thigh, but when you're running through it at top-speed, every step you take uses up all your energy. And no matter how hard you push, it still feels like you are moving in slow motion. Like running in a dream.

"Diana," I said breathlessly once I had reached her. I put my hands on her shoulders and shook her slightly. "Diana, we need to go."

"It's dead," she said to herself again, not even meeting my eyes.

I opened my mouth to speak when there was a splash. Snapping my head back, I caught sight of the creature's terrifying fin sticking out of the water.

Heading straight towards us.